Bio-Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my Penguin 125 for about 4 months now and the bio-wheel is going extremely slow, sometimes stopping. what can i do to make sure it doesnt completely stop? i dont know whats wrong with it i have tried taking it out and putting it back.

TIA!!

Adirty filter is the primary cause of slow down. Some slow down is normal as the biological filter builds up, the wheel gets heavier. Some of this build up is in the bearing area. You can take a tooth brush and clean the bearing area. You also get buildup on the spill way under the wheel that needs to be removed. To check the filter, remove it and see if the wheel speeds up. As long as the wheel moves at all is ok.

Biowheels begin to get slower and slower as they "age" and more bacteria builds up on the wheel. It is not uncommon for them to completely stop. To help alleviate this when it begins to really slow and/or stop, take the wheel and rinse it in your *tank* water. This will help remove some of the bacteria/sludge and won't kill them in the process. Just remember, *never rinse* out the biowheel with chlorinated tap water.

I rinse my Emperor 280 biowheel once a month, just as a part of regular maintenance.

HTH

I have cut the cartridge behind the wheel to as low as it can go to increase water flow. That and monthly rinsings of the cartridge have done the trick. I almost never rinse the biowheel.

Make sure your filter media is clean. On time mine was dirty and after changing it the wheel spins like normal.

Back
Top Bottom