Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsryman View Post
BTW here is the link to that thread if you care to red through it. It kinda got off track at the end but still some goo info.

HOB filter recommendation
thank you for the link. How is your experience with a 55gal tank? How many fish do you have in there and plants?

Old 02-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
choose plants based on the light you have, research any plant you'd like in your tank and find out if it's possible based on your setup. I'm not sure about Cory's and light? There are some very nice low light plants out there. Anubias, java fern, anarchis to name a few.
Here is my low light setup

Attachment 219858
Your tank looks so beautiful. How do you manage the CO2 task in a planted tank? The next obstacle I have to think about if I want to add real plants, right?

Old 02-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle71 View Post
Your tank looks so beautiful. How do you manage the CO2 task in a planted tank? The next obstacle I have to think about if I want to add real plants, right?
i do not use co2, I dose flourish comprehensive and excel, you can have plants without doing much of anything except turning the lights on, you just need to research which plants suit your setup, for low light you could look into anubias, java fern, anarchis, java moss.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
i do not use co2, I dose flourish comprehensive and excel, you can have plants without doing much of anything except turning the lights on, you just need to research which plants suit your setup, for low light you could look into anubias, java fern, anarchis, java moss.
I like all the plants you mentioned. I checked them out last time in store. What about dwarfs hairgrass? They had some nice tank display there, looked almost like a little hill with a bigger plant like a tree on top. super nice.
I would love to invest into a LED system. This light is very bright I think (love the night light). I am also wondering about the manufacturer info about light systems. Some have cooling fans and others not. Would I have to purchase some kind of fan too so the water doesn't get to warm...or what does that mean?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I like all the plants you mentioned. I checked them out last time in store. What about dwarfs hairgrass? They had some nice tank display there, looked almost like a little hill with a bigger plant like a tree on top. super nice. I would love to invest into a LED system. This light is very bright I think (love the night light). I am also wondering about the manufacturer info about light systems. Some have cooling fans and others not. Would I have to purchase some kind of fan too so the water doesn't get to warm...or what does that mean?
dwarf hair grass or any carpet plant for that matter are more difficult to grow, they require at least medium light, so what you should do is go to the planted section and start a thread about lighting or any other questions about plants and you will get better info, I'm still a major noob when it comes to plants, Old scales has a great led setup so hopefully you catch his attention, or you could pm him and tell him I sent you he loves getting people planted!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
thank you for the link. How is your experience with a 55gal tank? How many fish do you have in there and plants?
I have a few fish in that tank. I lost count but there is a school of corys, zebra danios, neons, rainbows, endlers, and a bunch of assassins. It is planted but not super heavy like i want. I personally haven't bought the C series filter yet. I cant afford it right now but if i definitely plan to add the C4 in conjunction with my Top Fin 60.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55gal_1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	221115   Click image for larger version

Name:	55gal_2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	221116  

Click image for larger version

Name:	55gal_3.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	221117  
Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsryman View Post
I have a few fish in that tank. I lost count but there is a school of corys, zebra danios, neons, rainbows, endlers, and a bunch of assassins. It is planted but not super heavy like i want. I personally haven't bought the C series filter yet. I cant afford it right now but if i definitely plan to add the C4 in conjunction with my Top Fin 60.
wow your tanks look pretty.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
wow your tanks look pretty.
tank you...lol. I don't care for the purpleish lighting but I recently upgraded the T8 lamps from the ones that came in the kit...(5000k daylight I think) to the Aqueon Floramax. The Floramax put out a lot higher blue and red spectrum and make my tank look darker and more purple. But I paid like $15 each for those lamps so they will stay until i get tired of looking at them.

Tags
bio, clear, eel, fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com