Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

bio wheel, fluval or aqua clear

I'm planning my new freshwater tank which will be at least 55 gal big.
shopping around gets me confused because there are so many options and so many different opinions.
There are good complete kit deals out there that come with bio wheel and LED lights. But I've heard so many bad things about the bio wheel.
I am wondering if it would be a better idea to put everything together myself and not taking a kit. What do you think?
Thanks for many opinions.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aqua clear 70 would be great for your 55! Or two 50's. Depending on your stocking. I'm picking up a 50 later today! They have great media options for a good price, I do have a penguin 200 running now which is fine but I want to try the ac on my other tank.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Aqua clear 70 would be great for your 55! Or two 50's. Depending on your stocking. I'm picking up a 50 later today! They have great media options for a good price, I do have a penguin 200 running now which is fine but I want to try the ac on my other tank.
hi Brookster
I hear a lot of good things about aqua clear and it's so much cheaper than the fluval filters. I thinks that's a good choice.
Where do I get the sand for freshwater tank? I've seen only bags with sand from Caribbean beach in my fish store. That kind of sand one can't use for tropical fish. hm maybe it was hiding somewhere in the back of store.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle71 View Post
hi Brookster I hear a lot of good things about aqua clear and it's so much cheaper than the fluval filters. I thinks that's a good choice. Where do I get the sand for freshwater tank? I've seen only bags with sand from Caribbean beach in my fish store. That kind of sand one can't use for tropical fish. hm maybe it was hiding somewhere in the back of store.
hi! Yah definitely a great product, only negative is they can get noises but there are tricks for that for sand there are a few options, playground sand from Home Depot is 5$ for 50 lbs! Pool filter sand seems to be the most popular, black blasting sand too. If you use sand make sure to get a pre filter sponge to protect the impeller of your sweet new filter!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
hi! Yah definitely a great product, only negative is they can get noises but there are tricks for that for sand there are a few options, playground sand from Home Depot is 5$ for 50 lbs! Pool filter sand seems to be the most popular, black blasting sand too. If you use sand make sure to get a pre filter sponge to protect the impeller of your sweet new filter!
pre filter sponge? oh maaan hope that's at the fish store too? lol
Ya need sand. My corys holding up a sign: WE WANT SAND!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
pre filter sponge? oh maaan hope that's at the fish store too? lol Ya need sand. My corys holding up a sign: WE WANT SAND!
Haha mine too! They'll love it, curious little guys! It's just a lil foam do-dad that slips over the intake to keep stuff out, they have them on amazon for cheap, you can use a mesh or nylon to achieve the sane purpose.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Brookster how did you choose your plants for the tank? I think it's pretty difficult due to the amount of light they need. How do you choose some the platy are happy with but don't need a lot of light because of the cory? Corys prefer dimmed light right?
Old 01-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Brookster how did you choose your plants for the tank? I think it's pretty difficult due to the amount of light they need. How do you choose some the platy are happy with but don't need a lot of light because of the cory? Corys prefer dimmed light right?
choose plants based on the light you have, research any plant you'd like in your tank and find out if it's possible based on your setup. I'm not sure about Cory's and light? There are some very nice low light plants out there. Anubias, java fern, anarchis to name a few.
Here is my low light setup

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3670854650.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	219858
Old 01-31-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a thread going on the various filters pros and cons. It got a little ugly but a lot of people seem to have good things to say about the Fluval C series. I am saving up my pennies for a C4 to add on my 55gal. the bio wheels arent bad and neither are the AquaClears. They have been around and proven for long time. But that said they have been around a long time and newer technology is taking the spot light. check out some videos on the C series. I think you might be impressed. It filters like a canister but hangs on the back. cheers
Old 01-31-2014, 02:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

BTW here is the link to that thread if you care to red through it. It kinda got off track at the end but still some goo info.

HOB filter recommendation

Tags
bio, clear, eel, fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com