Bio wheel or no bio wheel..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dertyharry420

Aquarium Advice Regular
i've been hearing that in planted tanks you should remove the bio-wheel why?? i have like 1 green hedge that is spread out and 2 grass like swords from walmart and one other one that has big leaves and some seeds that are sprouting should i remove the bio wheel..? im also purchasing a pc light and co2 so what should i do..?

HOB filters create alot of surface agitation. This is great for oxygenating the water but it causes out gassing of any disolved CO2. IMO, with your current set up, I would leave the bio wheel until you're ready to increase the lighting. :wink:

The day you add the CO2 should be the day you remove the bio wheel. Bio wheels create too much surface agitation, which causes your CO2 to exit the water before the plants really get a chance to use it. My preferred HOB filter for planted tanks is the AquaClear series, as their return seems to agitate the water less, you can lower the flow rate, they don't have biowheels, and you can easily extend the return ramp down into the water, so that you have zero surface agitation.

Back
Top Bottom