Bio-wheel removable media cartriges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam_keene

Aquarium Advice Regular
i was wondering if i could find wet dry balls or something like that and put them in my removable media cartrage in my penguin 330... would that be a good idea?

WHY? By adding another filter media to that filter you will increase the amount of junk getting caught and increase the chances of high nitrates. Bio balls are meant to work aerobically as water falls over them, similar to the bio-wheel. submerged, I do not think that would do anything. even adding live rock rubble would eventually get clogged with junk and that would make a mess also.
I don't think that the media baskets get water flowing through them that much. More like a tea bag effect.

by the way, I have 3 penguin 330's. Used to have 2 on my 75 reef and just removed one. Live rock does a much better job of bio-filtration. I just use them for mechanical-(clean the pads weekly) and water flow.

so do you think that my 330 does a good job for filtering the water... i have a protein skimmer meant for a 60 gal and i am using both in a 20 gallon. Also the water flow from the 330 acts as a power head kinda... right??/

yes, many people have HOB filters and take everything out of it and just use it for circulation, so that is good, however i still think having a powerhead would be a good idea possibly aimed at the surface for good gas exchange or somthing you see fit.

I have always ran HOB filters on my saltwater tanks with good results. No skimmer either. Just water changes on a regular basis. I keep the media in my filters also. But I rinse them off in a bucket of tank water periodically. To get as much junk off them as possible without harming any bacteria that is in them.

How much LR do you have in the tank? I know a lot of people just run a powerhead with no filter of any kind. They are running a bunch of live rock though. 1.5-2lbs per gallon.

My 10 gallon just has a little marineland biowheel 110 on it. I lost the bio-wheel somehow so that isn't on there. 5lbs of rock so far and 20lbs of sand. And it is doing well.

I have a emporer 280 with the wheel and a aqauclear 300 on my 38 gallon.

In a 20 gal i would use a marine land 400 ph and the hob filter.

Keep it running with the bio-wheel and media until you get enough live rock. THat filter is meant for a larger tank, but I used 2 on my 75 for almost a year.

i think that a lot of people discount the mechanical aspect of filtration because it requires them to do more work. i Clean my filter floss regularly (under the tap) and it is obviously clogging up and is catching stuff that would go uncaught. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom