Bio-wheel versus Protein Skimmer in Marine Tank HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krazedkazoo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I am starting my first saltwater tank and have heard tons of different things about protein skimmers. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank. I am currently cycling water through the tank and preparing it for live rock and sand. There are two biowheel filters hanging on the tank. Do biowheels make protein skimmers ineffective? Do I need a protein skimmer with two biowheels? Which is more important to have; protein skimmers or biowheels?

Thanks in advance for any and all help. I'm just a college kid who's low on money and trying to make this tank the most effective I can without spending too much extra cash or having to do way more water changes than necessary because of conflicting equipment.

I personally would go with the skimmer because your LR will accomplish the same thing as your bio wheel. If you are strapped for cash I would just stick with the bio wheels that you now have and do PWC`s. Esp in that size tank you should be OK.

Do biowheels make protein skimmers ineffective? Do I need a protein skimmer with two biowheels? Which is more important to have; protein skimmers or biowheels?
First off, they are 2 different things and not really related. A filter with the biowheels is there to filter the water both mechanically and biologically. A skimmer removes dissolved organic compounds (DOC's).
So, to answer your questions....
1- No
2- Yes, a skimmer should be used on a 40g tank
3- Both, but if you have live rock you can eliminate the filter with the biowheels as the rock is the biological filter.

If you're looking at saving money, consider that a protein skimmer won't do much for you until the tank is well established. There's a thread on here recently about that issue where one person states they didn't run one until 6 months+ on the tank. So keep that in mind, but you definitely will need one, the sooner the better to be safe. Also depends on bio-load, if you cycle it up and then fully stock it right away, you want it right away.

Back
Top Bottom