Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question Bio-wheel versus Protein Skimmer in Marine Tank HELP

Hello! I am starting my first saltwater tank and have heard tons of different things about protein skimmers. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank. I am currently cycling water through the tank and preparing it for live rock and sand. There are two biowheel filters hanging on the tank. Do biowheels make protein skimmers ineffective? Do I need a protein skimmer with two biowheels? Which is more important to have; protein skimmers or biowheels?

Thanks in advance for any and all help. I'm just a college kid who's low on money and trying to make this tank the most effective I can without spending too much extra cash or having to do way more water changes than necessary because of conflicting equipment.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I personally would go with the skimmer because your LR will accomplish the same thing as your bio wheel. If you are strapped for cash I would just stick with the bio wheels that you now have and do PWC`s. Esp in that size tank you should be OK.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Do biowheels make protein skimmers ineffective? Do I need a protein skimmer with two biowheels? Which is more important to have; protein skimmers or biowheels?
First off, they are 2 different things and not really related. A filter with the biowheels is there to filter the water both mechanically and biologically. A skimmer removes dissolved organic compounds (DOC's).
So, to answer your questions....
1- No
2- Yes, a skimmer should be used on a 40g tank
3- Both, but if you have live rock you can eliminate the filter with the biowheels as the rock is the biological filter.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks so much for your help. I'm glad I got some clarification.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're looking at saving money, consider that a protein skimmer won't do much for you until the tank is well established. There's a thread on here recently about that issue where one person states they didn't run one until 6 months+ on the tank. So keep that in mind, but you definitely will need one, the sooner the better to be safe. Also depends on bio-load, if you cycle it up and then fully stock it right away, you want it right away.

Tags
bio, bio-wheel, eel, marine, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com