Biocube 14 Moonlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevy_guy2002

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a biocube 14 SW reef tank. It has been up and running for a month now. Cycle has completed. I have added 1 chromis, 1 clown, green mushrooms, and zoanthids.

My lights run for 8 hours a day on timers. My question is about the moonlights. Should they run all the time or should my tank have a period of complete darkness? The moonlights really light up the tank and i dont know if the corals need complete darkness or if the light is ok. The LFS says to run the moonlights all the time but to me it just seems like it might be too much light. Any suggestions?

People do different things. Me, I use the moonlights as sort of a nightlight in the room, others will put them on a timer and have them go out for a couple of hours. It is more personal preference I think. If you think about it, a true reef is never completely dark unless the sky is completely overcast and no moonlight is getting through. :)

I have a few corals right now and if the one that is splitting and growing is anything to go by, they don't mind the moonlights on 24 hrs.

I think i'm going to leave them on and see how they do. I like the way they look and like you i'm using it as a nightlight. I'm new to the SW and i just didn't know if corals would be affected by the moonlights.

Back
Top Bottom