Biocube overhang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebelyeller89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I've gotten all worked up over a 29 gallon biocube for Christmas. But now that I look at dimensions, it looks like it would hang off my stand 2 inches. I imagine this wouldn't work. . . What does anyone else think?

I think it will cause too much stress on the parts that aren't resting on support. Back in my younger days I lost a few tanks this way until I figured out why they were cracking along the bottom.

Some folks think 2 inches won't cause much trouble, in the long run, all the weight of water and substrate will cause stress

With a normal tank I'm not sure if an inch on each side would make a difference BUT with the biocube i wouldnt recommend it. I had a 29g cube that held water only until I added the rocks then it leaked like a sieve. I dont think the seals are made to hold out to extreme pressure.

You can get a biocube stand for like an extra $110 or so, I love my cabinet it has a ton of storage and is very very sturdy. :)

:sigh: yeah I was pretty sure it was a problem. Thing is I was trying to get another tank in my bedroom, and I don't really have room for a stand. I was using an existing piece of furniture. :(

Have you looked at nano cubes? maybe the dimensions are a bit different. i believe they have a 28g version

have a 2x4 cut to the length of your stand nail it on the back of the stand it would give you 1 3/4 inches more room on the back and you would never see it

Hi! I'm not in Greensboro anymore, I'm in Wilkesboro now (but not for long if I can help it) What would anyone think about some thick plywood cut to the size of the tank, would that handle the stress, or am I out of luck? (also its a nice piece of furniture, I don't want to nail anything to it.)

adding a 2x4 to the back would provide the best support for the inch over hane in back a good piece of 1 inch treated plywood cut to the size of the tank would work too

Get some 1 inch mdf and cut it to the size of the tank, make sure you seal it good with a spray paint and fasten it to the piece of furniture you are wanting to use. If you fasten it to the back it won't make much difference if you do get a stand later on and want to use it as it was meant to be used. Now remember the tank will probably weigh close to 300 lbs give or take a few.

Get a piece of 3/4" plywood and a spray can of clear coat to make it water resistant. Have the plywood cut 1" bigger than the over all dimension. 1/2" will stick out all the way around. Lowes or Home Depot will cut it for you.

Current tank: 450 gallon Fish & Reef

Back
Top Bottom