Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

biocube protein skimmer

I have a 29g biocube that's doing pretty good as far as filtration and water params but a friend of mine gave me the oceanic biocube protein Skimmer brand new never even used and i am wondering if it would be good to use or would it take stuff outta the water that is needed, I've never used a Skimmer b4 so any advice is really appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120227_112858.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	79373  

Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I used one of those on my cube and found it to be more trouble than it was worth. I sold off the skimmer soon after. Some people have had luck adjusting it so that it actually skims, I couldnt get it to work though. lol

It can't hurt if you wanna use it, just will need ALOT of patience I bet to get it dialed in.

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I used one of those on my cube and found it to be more trouble than it was worth. I sold off the skimmer soon after. Some people have had luck adjusting it so that it actually skims, I couldnt get it to work though. lol

It can't hurt if you wanna use it, just will need ALOT of patience I bet to get it dialed in.

Good luck!
Ahhh.... I may as well try it since it was free lol my main concern was it possibly taking out some of the goodies in the water that my corals and fish need thank u very much Carey
Old 02-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You're very welcome! It certainly can't hurt. Just keep up on those water changes, lol, a skimmer makes people think they can go without doing them. If your tank is running good just keep doing what you are doing.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
You're very welcome! It certainly can't hurt. Just keep up on those water changes, lol, a skimmer makes people think they can go without doing them. If your tank is running good just keep doing what you are doing.
I'm always on top of the water changes from what I've read and understand that is one of ppls major mistakes and main cause of problems in their tanks
Old 02-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Another question I just put the thing in very simple lol but it says adjust the nozzle so that the air bubbles stay just above the reaction chamber what exactly am I looking for it to do, I see the bubbles at the top of the reaction chamber but it basically looks like all their doing is popping and putting a little bit of water in the collection cup is that normal
Old 02-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, thats how a skimmer works. It will produce a bunch of bubbles and the nasty stuff gets pushed to the top of the chamber and then flows over into the cup. You don't want the cup to fill up too quickly though, it should maybe make a cup of nasty every day. It will take awhile for it to break in if its a new skimmer too.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Yep, thats how a skimmer works. It will produce a bunch of bubbles and the nasty stuff gets pushed to the top of the chamber and then flows over into the cup. You don't want the cup to fill up too quickly though, it should maybe make a cup of nasty every day. It will take awhile for it to break in if its a new skimmer too.
OK I was wondering lol once again thank u very much
Old 02-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I gave up on my BC skimmer and threw it out the window

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio, biocube, cube, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com