biocube protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ORION411

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29g biocube that's doing pretty good as far as filtration and water params but a friend of mine gave me the oceanic biocube protein Skimmer brand new never even used and i am wondering if it would be good to use or would it take stuff outta the water that is needed, I've never used a Skimmer b4 so any advice is really appreciated

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120227_112858.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120227_112858.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 72
I used one of those on my cube and found it to be more trouble than it was worth. I sold off the skimmer soon after. Some people have had luck adjusting it so that it actually skims, I couldnt get it to work though. lol

It can't hurt if you wanna use it, just will need ALOT of patience I bet to get it dialed in.

Good luck!

carey said:
I used one of those on my cube and found it to be more trouble than it was worth. I sold off the skimmer soon after. Some people have had luck adjusting it so that it actually skims, I couldnt get it to work though. lol

It can't hurt if you wanna use it, just will need ALOT of patience I bet to get it dialed in.

Good luck!

Ahhh.... I may as well try it since it was free lol my main concern was it possibly taking out some of the goodies in the water that my corals and fish need thank u very much Carey :)

You're very welcome! It certainly can't hurt. Just keep up on those water changes, lol, a skimmer makes people think they can go without doing them. If your tank is running good just keep doing what you are doing. :-D

carey said:
You're very welcome! It certainly can't hurt. Just keep up on those water changes, lol, a skimmer makes people think they can go without doing them. If your tank is running good just keep doing what you are doing. :-D

I'm always on top of the water changes from what I've read and understand that is one of ppls major mistakes and main cause of problems in their tanks

Another question I just put the thing in very simple lol but it says adjust the nozzle so that the air bubbles stay just above the reaction chamber what exactly am I looking for it to do, I see the bubbles at the top of the reaction chamber but it basically looks like all their doing is popping and putting a little bit of water in the collection cup is that normal

Yep, thats how a skimmer works. It will produce a bunch of bubbles and the nasty stuff gets pushed to the top of the chamber and then flows over into the cup. You don't want the cup to fill up too quickly though, it should maybe make a cup of nasty every day. It will take awhile for it to break in if its a new skimmer too. :)

carey said:
Yep, thats how a skimmer works. It will produce a bunch of bubbles and the nasty stuff gets pushed to the top of the chamber and then flows over into the cup. You don't want the cup to fill up too quickly though, it should maybe make a cup of nasty every day. It will take awhile for it to break in if its a new skimmer too. :)

OK I was wondering lol once again thank u very much

Back
Top Bottom