Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Gear video of lighting storm is that the same led upgrade you did?

Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetlayer719
I can see upgrade to led lights. But every filter system from under gravel to trickle or fuge all need TLC and water changes or they have problems.
Any tank will need water changes regardless. Weekly water changes are a given with fresh or salt. You don't need a fuge(I don't) you don't need a skimmer (I tossed mine) its really not hard. You change the filter floss once a week.

Any and every tank needs TLC that's part of the hobby. It's also about pride and being able to watch something grow and thrive that your taking care of. So... TLC? Yea! We all need a little

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetlayer719
Gear video of lighting storm is that the same led upgrade you did?
Yes AI SOL BLUE

http://www.aquaillumination.com/sol/

Fully controllable. It ramps up from 7am to noon then slowly back down till 5pm then back down again to 7pm then moonlights starting at 8pm to 3am then total darkness.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 08-21-2012, 02:27 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okey, I have a change to the question

Which is best in your opinion? Biocube, JBJ nanocube, or red sea Max? Which is the best bang for the buck? Which will need less modifications?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfanatic
Okey, I have a change to the question

Which is best in your opinion? Biocube, JBJ nanocube, or red sea Max? Which is the best bang for the buck? Which will need less modifications?
Well finally a question I don't have an answer to lol. I can speak for the BC29 and a friend who had the sea max. He hasn't done 1 single thing to it and it's doing great. Mine has been modded out so.... I guess if you want only easy corals or soft corals then the stock BC29 will be fine although my personal opinion is that the stock filtration system is something that is less desirable and should be upgraded and modded to the most out of it.

Filtration is key IMO.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

I guess if you want only easy corals or soft corals then the stock BC29 will be fine although my personal opinion is that the stock filtration system is something that is less desirable and should be upgraded and modded to the most out of it.

Filtration is key IMO.
But the stock filter will manage correct? Is spending the $80 for the intank "kit" worth it, doest it really make that much of a difference?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfanatic

But the stock filter will manage correct? Is spending the $80 for the intank "kit" worth it, doest it really make that much of a difference?
In my opinion your better off getting a skimmer for superior filtration. Medias can only do so much.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

In my opinion your better off getting a skimmer for superior filtration. Medias can only do so much.
True. Media can only do so much. You can run a skimmer and keep up on water changes. That will beat out the inTank filtration. As for your question, no the inTank media basket is not needed and yes the stock filtration system will work. Just wanted you to be aware that there are options and upgrades. I found the stock filtration to be so so. I don't like those plastic media balls and of not cleaned they are a nitrAted breeding ground. Also you can't clean them all at once. You have to pretty much to half or less then half one time and then another batch another time.

I find that just tossing a piece of poly floss was much easier. Also cutting that tab allowed for more flow. I wanted to take advantage of the options/mods offered for the tank. There are plenty of people that have bone stock cubes that are doing well.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just thought I should put it out there to perhaps ease your mind on the endeavor your wanting to take. There are some people that run small tanks with absolutely no filtration just powerheads and a light with absolutely AMAZING tanks. Your LR will be your main biological filtration so with weekly water changes a tank can still thrive. Long story short if planned out reef keeping really isn't hard. Actually less work then my cichlids I feel and convict would probably agree with that
Old 08-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
Just thought I should put it out there to perhaps ease your mind on the endeavor your wanting to take. There are some people that run small tanks with absolutely no filtration just powerheads and a light with absolutely AMAZING tanks. Your LR will be your main biological filtration so with weekly water changes a tank can still thrive. Long story short if planned out reef keeping really isn't hard. Actually less work then my cichlids I feel and convict would probably agree with that
Most definitely! I've had a lot of issues with my 75g African Cichlid tank and knock on wood my BC29 is rockin the block!

Tags
bio, biocube, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com