Biocube reviews are terrible, yet everyone on here loves them...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking to get my first salt water set up. Of course I am looking at buying the 29 gallon biocube. I have read many good things about them on AA, but on amazon.com the reviews are terrible. I really don't want to buy a money pit of a tank, I want something that will get me a good intro into salt water. Please leave your comments! Should I or should I not get the biocube? If no, then what should I get? Red sea kits? I really need all the help I can get! :)

i've heard nothing but good things about biocubes. from what I understand they are ready to go right out of the box. I actually would love to have one in my bedroom.

fishfanatic said:
I am looking to get my first salt water set up. Of course I am looking at buying the 29 gallon biocube. I have read many good things about them on AA, but on amazon.com the reviews are terrible. I really don't want to buy a money pit of a tank, I want something that will get me a good intro into salt water. Please leave your comments! Should I or should I not get the biocube? If no, then what should I get? Red sea kits? I really need all the help I can get! :)

The problem with biocubes is that in the end you will almost guaranteed Mod every aspect of the tank, and in many ways they can limit what you can do. The tank fetches a decent price, but by the time you mod it out with upgrades you left spending way more than the initial price tag while still having to deal with the limitations of a small self contained cube system.

Anything other than soft corals and this tank starts needing upgrades.

I suggest building a standard system if you want to be able to choose you equipment, setup, and be more flexible without having to do as many upgrades down the road.

The problem with biocubes is that in the end you will almost guaranteed Mod every aspect of the tank, and in many ways they can limit what you can do. The tank fetches a decent price, but by the time you mod it out with upgrades you left spending way more than the initial price tag while still having to deal with the limitations of a small self contained cube system.

I suggest building a standard system if you want to be able to choose you equipment, setup, and be more flexible without having to do as many upgrades down the road.

very good answer here

Schism said:

I do very much understand what you are saying. I have come to a point where I need to decide price vs. Quality/ability. It may end up like my freshwater tanks, I always bought the cheaper equipment thinking "oh this will be fine" but then later on fine is not good enough.
The all in one sounds really good to me, I am extremely nervous about going salt water (not sure why) and I just don't feel comfortable building a sump. This tank will only be set up for a year or so because I will be moving out and going to collage.
So you believe the all in one aspect of this tank is a downfall?

This tank will only be set up for a year or so because I will be moving out and going to collage.
So you believe the all in one aspect of this tank is a downfall?

If only gonna be setup a year then I guess why not a cube. Also they are easy to move if you wanted to move it. I guess thats a call you have to make.

I run a stock biocube 29 only have had it running 3 month and every fish and coral seam to be doing great . I don't have any problems with the filter or lights. The only compliant I have is the price of the filter Carthage and I started remaking them myself

If you buy the "cube" you must mod. If you mod your tank it will rock the block!! Seriously!!

I ripped mine apart. Knocked out all false floors, cut a hole in the stock hood and added an AI SOL BLUE LED fixture. I upgraded the stock pump added a mp10. Added the inTank media basket after cutting the tab that's between chamber 1&2.

If your willing to spend some $$ and like to mod the BC29 can be pretty awesome IMO an IME.

InTank video

Also I just wanna add. Everyone has an opinion. I've read good and bad about ALOT of things. It's what YOU wanna do. I'm laying it out black and white man no BS (sorry mods of that wasn't allowed)

I'm telling you straight up! If you have the time and like to mod things then the BC29 is a great tank.

Let the videos and pictures speak for themselves. There are a bunch of great guys here that own these and they all modded them.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/46421-albums9183.html

Keep up on your water changes weekly and you'll be fine. Oh and of course test test test. I was a hardcore freshy and now I'm in love with saltwater. I even have a 8 gallon SW in the living room now.

The choice is yours. Do all the research you need and ask question and when your done ask some more. Check the nano section and check out some of the tanks. Take your time and make a solid decision.

Last edited:
I can see upgrade to led lights. But every filter system from under gravel to trickle or fuge all need TLC and water changes or they have problems.

carpetlayer719 said:
I can see upgrade to led lights. But every filter system from under gravel to trickle or fuge all need TLC and water changes or they have problems.

Any tank will need water changes regardless. Weekly water changes are a given with fresh or salt. You don't need a fuge(I don't) you don't need a skimmer (I tossed mine) its really not hard. You change the filter floss once a week.

Any and every tank needs TLC that's part of the hobby. It's also about pride and being able to watch something grow and thrive that your taking care of. So... TLC? Yea! We all need a little :)

Okey, I have a change to the question

Which is best in your opinion? Biocube, JBJ nanocube, or red sea Max? Which is the best bang for the buck? Which will need less modifications?

fishfanatic said:
Okey, I have a change to the question

Which is best in your opinion? Biocube, JBJ nanocube, or red sea Max? Which is the best bang for the buck? Which will need less modifications?

Well finally a question I don't have an answer to lol. I can speak for the BC29 and a friend who had the sea max. He hasn't done 1 single thing to it and it's doing great. Mine has been modded out so.... I guess if you want only easy corals or soft corals then the stock BC29 will be fine although my personal opinion is that the stock filtration system is something that is less desirable and should be upgraded and modded to the most out of it.

Filtration is key IMO.

Convict2161 said:
I guess if you want only easy corals or soft corals then the stock BC29 will be fine although my personal opinion is that the stock filtration system is something that is less desirable and should be upgraded and modded to the most out of it.

Filtration is key IMO.

But the stock filter will manage correct? Is spending the $80 for the intank "kit" worth it, doest it really make that much of a difference?

fishfanatic said:
But the stock filter will manage correct? Is spending the $80 for the intank "kit" worth it, doest it really make that much of a difference?

In my opinion your better off getting a skimmer for superior filtration. Medias can only do so much.

Schism said:
In my opinion your better off getting a skimmer for superior filtration. Medias can only do so much.

True. Media can only do so much. You can run a skimmer and keep up on water changes. That will beat out the inTank filtration. As for your question, no the inTank media basket is not needed and yes the stock filtration system will work. Just wanted you to be aware that there are options and upgrades. I found the stock filtration to be so so. I don't like those plastic media balls and of not cleaned they are a nitrAted breeding ground. Also you can't clean them all at once. You have to pretty much to half or less then half one time and then another batch another time.

I find that just tossing a piece of poly floss was much easier. Also cutting that tab allowed for more flow. I wanted to take advantage of the options/mods offered for the tank. There are plenty of people that have bone stock cubes that are doing well.

Just thought I should put it out there to perhaps ease your mind on the endeavor your wanting to take. There are some people that run small tanks with absolutely no filtration just powerheads and a light with absolutely AMAZING tanks. Your LR will be your main biological filtration so with weekly water changes a tank can still thrive. Long story short if planned out reef keeping really isn't hard. Actually less work then my cichlids I feel and convict would probably agree with that ;)

Mrc8858 said:
Just thought I should put it out there to perhaps ease your mind on the endeavor your wanting to take. There are some people that run small tanks with absolutely no filtration just powerheads and a light with absolutely AMAZING tanks. Your LR will be your main biological filtration so with weekly water changes a tank can still thrive. Long story short if planned out reef keeping really isn't hard. Actually less work then my cichlids I feel and convict would probably agree with that ;)

Most definitely! I've had a lot of issues with my 75g African Cichlid tank and knock on wood my BC29 is rockin the block!

:)

Back
Top Bottom