Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Biocube reviews are terrible, yet everyone on here loves them...

I am looking to get my first salt water set up. Of course I am looking at buying the 29 gallon biocube. I have read many good things about them on AA, but on amazon.com the reviews are terrible. I really don't want to buy a money pit of a tank, I want something that will get me a good intro into salt water. Please leave your comments! Should I or should I not get the biocube? If no, then what should I get? Red sea kits? I really need all the help I can get!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i've heard nothing but good things about biocubes. from what I understand they are ready to go right out of the box. I actually would love to have one in my bedroom.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfanatic
I am looking to get my first salt water set up. Of course I am looking at buying the 29 gallon biocube. I have read many good things about them on AA, but on amazon.com the reviews are terrible. I really don't want to buy a money pit of a tank, I want something that will get me a good intro into salt water. Please leave your comments! Should I or should I not get the biocube? If no, then what should I get? Red sea kits? I really need all the help I can get!
The problem with biocubes is that in the end you will almost guaranteed Mod every aspect of the tank, and in many ways they can limit what you can do. The tank fetches a decent price, but by the time you mod it out with upgrades you left spending way more than the initial price tag while still having to deal with the limitations of a small self contained cube system.

Anything other than soft corals and this tank starts needing upgrades.

I suggest building a standard system if you want to be able to choose you equipment, setup, and be more flexible without having to do as many upgrades down the road.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
The problem with biocubes is that in the end you will almost guaranteed Mod every aspect of the tank, and in many ways they can limit what you can do. The tank fetches a decent price, but by the time you mod it out with upgrades you left spending way more than the initial price tag while still having to deal with the limitations of a small self contained cube system.

I suggest building a standard system if you want to be able to choose you equipment, setup, and be more flexible without having to do as many upgrades down the road.
very good answer here
Old 08-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

I do very much understand what you are saying. I have come to a point where I need to decide price vs. Quality/ability. It may end up like my freshwater tanks, I always bought the cheaper equipment thinking "oh this will be fine" but then later on fine is not good enough.
The all in one sounds really good to me, I am extremely nervous about going salt water (not sure why) and I just don't feel comfortable building a sump. This tank will only be set up for a year or so because I will be moving out and going to collage.
So you believe the all in one aspect of this tank is a downfall?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

good to know, of course the people in the store fail to tell you these things
Old 08-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfanatic View Post
This tank will only be set up for a year or so because I will be moving out and going to collage.
So you believe the all in one aspect of this tank is a downfall?
If only gonna be setup a year then I guess why not a cube. Also they are easy to move if you wanted to move it. I guess thats a call you have to make.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I run a stock biocube 29 only have had it running 3 month and every fish and coral seam to be doing great . I don't have any problems with the filter or lights. The only compliant I have is the price of the filter Carthage and I started remaking them myself
Old 08-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you buy the "cube" you must mod. If you mod your tank it will rock the block!! Seriously!!

I ripped mine apart. Knocked out all false floors, cut a hole in the stock hood and added an AI SOL BLUE LED fixture. I upgraded the stock pump added a mp10. Added the inTank media basket after cutting the tab that's between chamber 1&2.

If your willing to spend some $$ and like to mod the BC29 can be pretty awesome IMO an IME.

Also I just wanna add. Everyone has an opinion. I've read good and bad about ALOT of things. It's what YOU wanna do. I'm laying it out black and white man no BS (sorry mods of that wasn't allowed)

I'm telling you straight up! If you have the time and like to mod things then the BC29 is a great tank.

Let the videos and pictures speak for themselves. There are a bunch of great guys here that own these and they all modded them.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...lbums9183.html

Keep up on your water changes weekly and you'll be fine. Oh and of course test test test. I was a hardcore freshy and now I'm in love with saltwater. I even have a 8 gallon SW in the living room now.

The choice is yours. Do all the research you need and ask question and when your done ask some more. Check the nano section and check out some of the tanks. Take your time and make a solid decision.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I can see upgrade to led lights. But every filter system from under gravel to trickle or fuge all need TLC and water changes or they have problems.

Tags
bio, biocube, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com