Biohome media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omni024

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey has anyone used this form on biological media before?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use biohome ultimate maxi in my marine setup in the sump and I also use to use it when freshwater awesome stuff the best media out there in my opinion and you will defo see a nitrate reduction using it once it has seeded properly :)

I use biohome ultimate maxi in my marine setup in the sump and I also use to use it when freshwater awesome stuff the best media out there in my opinion and you will defo see a nitrate reduction using it once it has seeded properly :)

I thought the only way to lower nitrates was with water changes and plants.

No if you can provide the correct low oxygen environment as found in the centre of biohome then denitrifying bacteria will begin to colonise :)

From Wikipedia

Denitrifying bacteria*form a necessary part of the process known as*denitrification*as part of the*nitrogen cycle, their primary purpose being to*metabolise*nitrogenous*compounds, with the assistance of the*nitrate reductaseenzyme, to turn*oxides*back to nitrogen gas or nitrous oxides for energy generation. Aerobic respiration yields more energy than denitrification, so denitrification generally takes place in the absence of*oxygen. This is the main reason why denitrification mostly occurs in the deep substrata of the*soil, or in areas of*stagnant water. Most denitrifying bacteria are*facultative aerobes*(prefers to use oxygen as their terminal electron acceptors).

Just smile and pretend you know what he's talking about lol ;)

If you search through the FW forum people have set up filtration units for denitrification every so often. These are often at slower water flow as mentioned above, the bacteria which convert nitrates to N2 gas are anaerobic and work in the absence of oxygen. Most FW filtration units are high flow unless adjusted.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/denitrate.html

Last edited:
If you search through the FW forum people have set up filtration units for denitrification every so often. These are often at slower water flow as mentioned above, the bacteria which convert nitrates to N2 gas are anaerobic and work in the absence of oxygen. Most FW filtration units are high flow unless adjusted.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/denitrate.html

Fascinating. Can it be used to eliminate the need for water changes, or do u just have to do them less often?

If you have corals ect they will need trace elements so will need replacing either by dosing or waterchanges.

The longest time I went without a water change was 18 weeks but then something must of got bound up in the water as I started having some issues with SPS so had no choice but to do waterchanges even though all paremeters where spot on across the board.

I now have two kilos running In my new cascade 1000 along with my ac 50 I had on my 20H :) and once that is set up I'll take the ac off and really start looking into getting a bigger tank probably a 55 gallon... Maybe a 50 breeder if I can find one :) so excited!!

Fascinating. Can it be used to eliminate the need for water changes, or do u just have to do them less often?

Imo it will reduce or can help with less water changes in a FW tank. So for someone with high nitrates in tap water this could help would be my thought.

For myself, a water change replaces a lot of elements we don't really test for and it freshens the water to remove organic debris. For example over summer my kh drops in tap and tank temp is high so it gets consumed more, so water changes keep the kh up which stops a ph crash.

So I use distilled water and Seachem lake salt. Does this provide adequate elements for a water change? I have an African cichlid tank.

Tank update I've been using the biohome media in my 20h since my last post and I have nothing to complain about it works great and keeps my ammonia at 0.
It hasn't herb running long enough for nitrate reduction but I'll update this then

ya know one of the best medias for de-nitrification I have found are the little pumice stones you use to scrub the sink with.
these bad boys rights here;
Heavy Duty Pumice Scour Stone Stick Cleaner Restorer Toilet Bowl Ring Sink Clean | eBay

only I get 'em at the .99 store....LOL
I have about 30+ in the sump. The fine pores allow for lots of internal surface area for anaerobic bacteria to thrive. I drill a few small holes through them and done. they are 6"x1.25"x.75".
only drawback is sometimes they float...LOL

ya know one of the best medias for de-nitrification I have found are the little pumice stones you use to scrub the sink with.
these bad boys rights here;
Heavy Duty Pumice Scour Stone Stick Cleaner Restorer Toilet Bowl Ring Sink Clean | eBay

only I get 'em at the .99 store....LOL
I have about 30+ in the sump. The fine pores allow for lots of internal surface area for anaerobic bacteria to thrive. I drill a few small holes through them and done. they are 6"x1.25"x.75".
only drawback is sometimes they float...LOL
No ideal in a reef tank due to the leaching that can take place have a google it's highly advised not to use them in a marine tank.

The minute they float and are exposed to air the denitrifying bacteria get nuked ;)

Lava rock can/may contain traces of metals that can leach out, but pumice is a form of glass. I don't think there are any minerals to leach out. I've seen conflicting information, but logic tells me that if there is any risk it is from any gas trapped in the pumice itself rather than the pumice leaching stuff, it is essentially glass after all.
Also Seachem's Matrix and De-Nitrate products are pumice as are a few other brand name bio-media available for sale.

floating isn't a problem at all except for placement and staying put. Being exposed to air does not immediately kill the de-nitrifying bacteria, especially when it resides within the rock where it will stay moist for a very long time, days in fact.
Being exposed to air won't even kill the nitrifying bacteria on the surface until the rock or whatever dries out.
Bacteria is a heck of a lot tougher than you imply....LOL

after thinking about it, I'm not sure the big lava rock décor I had was a problem. You would think after 20-30 years of use in various fresh and salt tanks any nasty stuff would have leached out already, and it didn't seem to hurt the nurse shark 30 years ago when the rocks were new, so.....

Back
Top Bottom