BioWheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robocop

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm getting a sump and don't want to run my biowheel filter on the main tank anymore but would like to keep the Biowheel populated with bacterial so when I use the filter for QT it will have enough to keep the Ammonia and Nitrite down. Could I just place it in the sump? Will I get the same effect with it being totally submerged instead of turning like it would on the actual filter? Any suggestions? I've had proplemes with Nitrites in my QT and want to avoid it in the furture.

Also, is it not recommended to use chemicals such as stresszymes to remove Ammonia and Nitrite? I heard it messes up test kit readings

I would just run the biowheel on my qt tank and feed the wheel with a little food in the QT each week.

Thats OK also but yes you can just place it in your sump and it will stay populated with the Bacteria.

You can keep it in your sump until you need to run it on your QT for the first time. After that I would not put it back in the sump again. You can transfer any bad things from your QT into your main that way.

Back
Top Bottom