Black, blue or clear background?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gnarls Gnarlington

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking clear because I can keep it clear or tape on a background if I need something. But a lot of people say black is best for fresh water and blue for salt.

Any thoughts?

I've never heard of that? But I think you should go clear that way if you change your mind your free to put a bg up, or take it down JMO

abrage22 said:
I like black, it makes everything in the tank stand out nicely...

Agreed, I just put a black background on one of my aquariums and it looks so much better!!!

my 45 gallon bowfront i put a blue background and i like it but its dosnt quite fulfill my wants so i painted my new 46 tall with a black paint and i love it i cant wint to get the water, sand and lr in it so i can see it pop

my 45 gallon bowfront i put a blue background and i like it but its dosnt quite fulfill my wants so i painted my new 46 tall with a black paint and i love it i cant wint to get the water, sand and lr in it so i can see it pop

See, I like that. I don't want a dark tank that pops. I just want it to look like clean, clear water all the time! (y)

BTW, your's is the first take I've seen with sand at the bottom instead of rocks. Is that harder to maintain? It looks great!

with the right lighting ive seen some really good black background tanks thats looks really clear, plus it helps the stuff u have in the tank like overflow and return blend in and once u get the good algae growing in it the tanks just looks good. but blue looks aslo. i dont think u can go wrong ether way. if u dont paint it u can go to the lfs and get a blue background with black on the other side and see witch u like better

BTW, your's is the first take I've seen with sand at the bottom instead of rocks. Is that harder to maintain? It looks great!
no not at all everytime i do a pwc i just give it a once over with the gravel vac and it good plus it holds allot of beneficial bacteria witch helps keep your parameters in check

I have a very dark blue, black was just a tad to dark for me. The darker the background the more colourful the fish will look

I've got black on 1 tank, blue on another and I like the blue better. I've heard it's best to have one tank wall covered to keep the fish from getting distressed, not sure if there's any truth to it but my puffers seem a bit disoriented with no background.

I like black for Freshwater and blue for Saltwater. It may be because most of the LFS I visit have that color scheme to distinguish FW from SW.

I have clear and a seaview attached background. The trouble with black is that blackmoors and some youngsters disappear with black. So of not clear I would do blue.

I've had I don't know how many different backgrounds in the past. I have to admit, however, I am always drawn back to the dark blue for some reason.

Have to admit my favorite background was the mirror that made up the back wall of the tank :)

Back
Top Bottom