Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I prefer sand over gravel, it is easier to clean in the tank when doing water changes cause it doesn't trap debris. As far as damaging filters I just keep my intake tube at least 6 inches above the gravel so fish stirring it up won't get it into the filter. I also turn off filters during water changes.

kdpuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by BillD
There is no way blasting sand is easier to clean than gravel. What I did with mine was pass it back and forth between buckets outside to allow the breeze to blow away much of the fine dust. I then washed it in small quantities. There was no cloudiness when I added it to the tank. The problem with doing a large amount is that the fine dust is re-trapped when you stir it.
Lol! I agree when you're washing it, I meant using the python during water changes...its easier to clean.

kelbaker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know this is an older post, but appears relevant enough to be bumped.

I'm in the process of setting up my tank again. I bought a bag from tractor supply co. as mentioned and dumped it into my tank before reading that I should have cleaned it first. I've got a 75 gallon tank that's completely dry and only contains the sand. What's the best way to rinse the sand now?
amadib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
Scoop it back up and rinse it and put it back in would be the best way. Less headaches later

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Specialk302 is offline   Reply With Quote

sand, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com