Black Diamond Blasting Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I purchased some blasting sand from Tractor Supply Company for my new 50g. I am currently in the process of washing it and it seems the water will never come clear. Do I get it as clear as I can and put it in the tank and allow it to settle? Or do I wash it until the water comes out clear?
Thank you!!

Everything that I've read has suggested washing it in an old pillow case until the water comes out clear. Can't wait to see some pics. I've been stressing over whether or not to try this stuff, because it looks awesome.

Well I love it!!! I never knew that :( Wish I would have, it would have made cleaning it a lot easier. I'll have to use that method when I use the sand again. It was such a hassle to clean! I will be converting all my tanks to it, it looks really nice.

Here are some pics from last night

ForumRunner_20120131_122531.jpg

ForumRunner_20120131_122511.jpg

ForumRunner_20120131_122454.jpg

It doesn't really look red, my camera kept making it look red.

Was hoping I would find more info what people think about sand vs. gravel. I am going to be setting up a 125g in a couple weeks and wonder if anyone could give me their opinion on cleaning it and whether it will be bad to have sand for my filters. I love the idea of blasting sand-where does it come from?

Last edited:
I just rinsed it in a 5 gallon bucket, ran the hose in and kept stirring it around, only took a few minutes for the water from the bucket to run clear. Some polyester "floss" in the aquaclears overnight took care of the cloudy water.
Black Diamond isn't sand, it's coal slag. Completely inert, looks like sand, but no diatoms for a month or so after you put it in the tank. Sand in general is easier than gravel to keep clean IME. It will destroy hob filter impellers very quickly if it gets sucked up, I use sponge prefilters.

I just put it in a 5 gallon bucket with a hose in it for awhile letting the water constantly run through it and I've never had a problem. It's in all 13 of my tanks. It's a lot easier to clean than gravel too!

There is no way blasting sand is easier to clean than gravel. What I did with mine was pass it back and forth between buckets outside to allow the breeze to blow away much of the fine dust. I then washed it in small quantities. There was no cloudiness when I added it to the tank. The problem with doing a large amount is that the fine dust is re-trapped when you stir it.

BillD said:
There is no way blasting sand is easier to clean than gravel. What I did with mine was pass it back and forth between buckets outside to allow the breeze to blow away much of the fine dust. I then washed it in small quantities. There was no cloudiness when I added it to the tank. The problem with doing a large amount is that the fine dust is re-trapped when you stir it.

I agree, deffinatley not as easy as gravel. I sifted it around in a half full 2 gallon bucket, worked pretty well for me.

I prefer sand over gravel, it is easier to clean in the tank when doing water changes cause it doesn't trap debris. As far as damaging filters I just keep my intake tube at least 6 inches above the gravel so fish stirring it up won't get it into the filter. I also turn off filters during water changes.

BillD said:

Lol! I agree when you're washing it, I meant using the python during water changes...its easier to clean.

I know this is an older post, but appears relevant enough to be bumped.

I'm in the process of setting up my tank again. I bought a bag from tractor supply co. as mentioned and dumped it into my tank before reading that I should have cleaned it first. I've got a 75 gallon tank that's completely dry and only contains the sand. What's the best way to rinse the sand now?

Scoop it back up and rinse it and put it back in would be the best way. Less headaches later

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom