Black PVC pipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you can use pvc primer... at least I have seen others use that

gives it a nice purple color

crabs is it electrical conduit pipe?

if it is GET RID OF IT
electrical conduit can and WILL leech some nasty chemicals in to the water
regular pvc and pvc dwv (drain,waste,vent) will not

I recently seen some at the Home Depot. Though it was a little more expensive then the white.I also noticed that it didn't get much bigger then 3 inches. But you may have better luck.

Thanks for the replies. The reason I want to keep it black is so it blends into the tank with the back painted black. The pipe will run down beside the megaflow tower.

GTIMANiac I'm not familiar wiith ABS pipe. What is it?

greatgman Good info. I was considering electrical conduit. Do you mean the black sewer pipe is reef safe(as long as its not used :lol: )?

Skuseman I'll check in at Home Depot. I just need about 5' of 1".

Stephen

I asked my uncle plumber... black pvc is used for sewage disposal in homes so it does not have to be drinking safe... and plumbers NEVER use it for drinking water pipes. They only use the white pvc. Something about the chemicles used when compressing the plastic pelets into the shapes.
I figure if a plumber won't use black for MY water supply, it isn't good enough for my fish! Instead I put aquarium sealant and pressed the substrate in firmly. After a couple of days to cure fully, a really good rinse, it was ready. Ready made cave for the fishies and camo'd. :)

I'm glad you found that out. Cause now I will not make that mistake when I am ready to make my caves.I'm currently trying to be an expert in electronics. I've made my moonlight setup twice now. Pretty soon it'll be a new project to mess around with.

Oh Man, where were these websites 2 months ago when I was plumbing my setup. I went ahead and used ABS after consulting the guide from aboutsaltwater.com and an individual claiming familiarity with plumbing. The latter said that the reason they use black ABS is so that plumbers wouldn't mix potable water lines with drain/sewage lines in construction.

Ive done too much reaserch and have tons of links.. I guess I need to watch out for you salty's Q's more often..
Black PVC is safe for your tank.. I did the reaserch. dont ask for the links though.. I just keep the links to the good stuff.. like were I can get supplies for good prices..
Happy to Help.. :p

Back
Top Bottom