Black titanium heaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy2727

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone manufacturing a black titanium heater yet? It is a shame the Stealth Pros are no good apparently. But a black heater really helps a tank look so much better. Has anyone heard of any companies making a black titanium heater yet?

Fishguy2727 said:
Anyone manufacturing a black titanium heater yet? It is a shame the Stealth Pros are no good apparently. But a black heater really helps a tank look so much better. Has anyone heard of any companies making a black titanium heater yet?

I got the Aqueon Pro 50w, black aluminum shell and you're right it looks much better than the glass ones IMO. Works great so far and I only get heaters with temp ajustment with numbers, because I hate the +/- adjusters.

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/pro-heaters.htm

While the aqueon isn't a titanium heater (which I've yet to see black titanium heaters), I have to agree that they're pretty good. I have one in my 40 breeder and it keeps the tank at a very precise 78 degrees (though the dial is off, I have to set it 2 degrees lower).

I have a stealth pro as well. I've not exchanged it yet, and not sure that I am going to at this point since it was one of the first that came out (the issue seems to be with those manufactured more recently). It's been a great heater as well.

I thought the pro fixed the problems with the original stealth, what exactly was the issue with the pro?

Fishguy2727 said:
I thought the pro fixed the problems with the original stealth, what exactly was the issue with the pro?

I thought the original stealth was OK and only the pro version that was recalled? The stealth pro 50w wasn't part of it, but I passed even though petco had it for 50% off.

My 50w is right on the mark temp setting wise, but I've had the same issue on another one, but at least you can figure the differential and adjust accordingly. With the +/- it's a guessing game lol.

The visitherm stealth is highly recomended. They were, from what I've read, bought by another company, and redesigned the heater making the stealth pro. The pro has the green off/red on light on the temp dial. These are the ones that have the recall. The one I have. The old visitherm stealths are great heaters.

Now from what I've read, the plastic composite material that they use for the stealth pro has had some issues with air pockets. Those air pockets are causing the heaters to explode. Not sure if that's the exact reason they were recalled, but apparently pretty common for heaters made after the first 6 months or so after they began making them.

I know Perfecto and Marineland merged or one bought the other, but I don't think that was the cause of the change.

My old boss had a vendetta against stealths (the originals) for exploding and leaking. He absolutely would not accept that they were okay. He swore to have seen so many of them do it. I think this contributed greatly to the redesigned Pro (the problem, not my boss in particular) which has a different shape as well as the added light (so many aquarists were bothered by not getting to see a light on the heater). I know the originals had some issues, but I never had any of mine give me problems (and still use them with no issues). I had not heard anything bad about the new ones until on multiple forums threads popped up to the effect of 'finally, stealth pro recall'.

I need a new heater and was wondering what to get. It's a 46 g tank. The one I have now will not hold a consistant temp it will stay at ~ 80 most of the time then spike up to 84 yesterday it jumped to almost 86. My poor fish have to be so stressed right now. I am stopping on the way home from work to pick up a new one. I can only hope the water isn't boiling when I get back!!!

I dont know if you can get these there but reno do a nice black heater which you can also pump water through the center of it if you want.(but not titanium)

Back
Top Bottom