Bleached ornaments? Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fierflie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was away for a retreat these past three days, and my fish are accustomed to daily water changes, so I asked my sister to change the water for me 10%, well, she decided it would be a good idea to give my aquarium ornaments a bleach soak. Fortunately, I got home before she put them back in my aquarium. She used about a quarter cup of bleach in a one and a half gallon bucket. What can I do to make my ornaments safe for the aquarium?
Thanks!

It's actually not as big an issue as it first sounds. First rinse them with tap to get rid of as much bleach off as possible, then soak them in a bucket with dechlorinated / treated water from your de-chlorinator, which will neutralize the chlorine for 1/2hr to hr at most ... just to make sure.

Many members bleach ornaments to ensure any unwanted microbes are killed.

I guess this is a case where you can thank your sister for caring enough to bleach your ornaments AND for killing off the BB that lived on the surface of the ornaments. Fortnuately, the majority of BB live in the filter media so I don't think you'll have a mini-cycle.

jcolon said:
It's actually not as big an issue as it first sounds. First rinse them with tap to get rid of as much bleach off as possible, then soak them in a bucket with dechlorinated / treated water from your de-chlorinator, which will neutralize the chlorine for 1/2hr to hr at most ... just to make sure.

Many members bleach ornaments to ensure any unwanted microbes are killed.

I guess this is a case where you can thank your sister for caring enough to bleach your ornaments AND for killing off the BB that lived on the surface of the ornaments. Fortnuately, the majority of BB live in the filter media so I don't think you'll have a mini-cycle.

Okay, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom