Bleaching a Biowheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I am disinfecting a QT that had sick fish in it. I want to get the QT nice and clean and ready for new arrivals before putting them into my main.
I am comfortable cleaning everything in the tank with bleach, but I am not sure if I should bleach the biowheels. Will this ruin them?

Also, is there a reason I should not run bleach through the Emperor filter?

Thanks,
Pete R.

Pop em in the microwave for a minute or two. This will kill off any thing you have to worry about as far as your tank goes. Just don't nuke em to the point where it melts or deforms the plastic.

Just let the biowheel air dry for a week. As long as there is no moisture, nothing will survive to be a problem later on. What did you treat the tank with/what ailment?

Cheers
Steve

if you do use bleach make sure you run some dechlorinator in the tank to get rid of liggering effects

Thanks.

Also, if I allow the various components of the tank to air dry, can I assume that the chlorine will decompose and not be a factor?

I was treating for Ich and some other secondary (maybe bacterial) infection.

Regards,
Pete R.

peterac said:
Also, if I allow the various components of the tank to air dry, can I assume that the chlorine will decompose and not be a factor?
Yes, chlorines natural state is as a gas so it will dissipate naturally. Unless some of the components are resin/sorbants, then they will require treating. Otherwise rinse well with hot water and allow to air dry for several days.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom