blue actinic light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zypher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
an acquaintance of mine told me that he uses his blue actinic like 24/7 for his sw system...i do want to get something like a moon light for my system..should i just use my blue actinic light?

No moonloghts are different and mine peak at a different nm than the actnic. The actnics are to bright and I can imagine it would eventually straddling ur tank if ran 24-7

Actinics are great lights to have in an aquarium, but they are not the moonlight leds. If your pal is having them on 24/7 he'll run into probs at some point.

+1 to what most have said already. Actinics as moonlights is a bad idea. Get a cheap LED moonlight and enjoy the light and shimmer when the lights go out!

Where can you get a cheap moonlight? I am also trying to get one but have no idea to where to start looking.

Those stunner strips seem really nice but also really expensive!

My cheap LED moon lighting is a $15 car interior accessory stick on thing. Mated to an old 12v power supply from a dead cordless phone. Works well!

- D

don_chuwish said:
My cheap LED moon lighting is a $15 car interior accessory stick on thing. Mated to an old 12v power supply from a dead cordless phone. Works well!

- D

Ingenious! Now that's some good thinking... if I didn't have them built into my fixture I would steal your idea

Heh, not my idea, I searched "DIY moon lights" or something like that and found the basics. I have them stuck up in the reflector of my hood light.

- D

You don't need moonlights at all. That said, I purchased LED Christmas lights and hung them over my tank for the moon effect.
As stated above, keeping the actinics on 24/7 will not be good for corals. They do need a night time.

don_chuwish said:

- D

+1 I did same thing.

Lots of articals state there is benefit to moonlights but u don't need them. They weren't around till not long ago. Even when they came out lots of research was done to show of there was any need for them and not many people went them. I am a pro choice yes. I like them and try to make my tank feel like its in the ocean and even keep to the lunar cycles

Jason M said:
Lots of articals state there is benefit to moonlights but u don't need them. They weren't around till not long ago. Even when they came out lots of research was done to show of there was any need for them and not many people went them. I am a pro choice yes. I like them and try to make my tank feel like its in the ocean and even keep to the lunar cycles

How do you set it to the lunar cycles? Do you have timers?

Back
Top Bottom