Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Boiling a brick

Is it ok to boil a brick to kill any bacteria? Will it explode or break? Thanks.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I wouldn't never boil a rock or a brick for fear of exploding. Any item like that just hit it with hot water and give it a good brush. If your really concerned you could always toss it in the dishwasher with no soap just water. I do that with driftwood to remove tannins. Or you could bake it at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey. Thanks for the reply.

I boiled the brick thinking that it was baked in thousands(?) degrees to make and boiling it is not even close and can withstand the boiling temp. I raised the water temp slowly just to be safe. Boiled
It for 15 minutes with no breaking. I would still be nervous if ever I have to do it again. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydooms View Post
Hey. Thanks for the reply.

I boiled the brick thinking that it was baked in thousands(?) degrees to make and boiling it is not even close and can withstand the boiling temp. I raised the water temp slowly just to be safe. Boiled
It for 15 minutes with no breaking. I would still be nervous if ever I have to do it again. Thanks.
I've never boiled bricks, but I've done a few rocks. The thing you want to do first is make sure there are no fracture lines and when boiling, put the rock (brick) in before you heat the water. Same basic principle applies to baking them (lava mainly), put them in and then heat the oven and you should have no issues.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet

I've never boiled bricks, but I've done a few rocks. The thing you want to do first is make sure there are no fracture lines and when boiling, put the rock (brick) in before you heat the water. Same basic principle applies to baking them (lava mainly), put them in and then heat the oven and you should have no issues.
What's going to happen of there are fracture lines and you still bake or boil the rock(brick)? I also thought about the principles of boiling eggs. You'd want to add the egg at the beginning so that both water and egg's temp will rise at the same time and the egg shell won't crack.

How high should I set the oven temp to bake rocks?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydooms View Post
What's going to happen of there are fracture lines and you still bake or boil the rock(brick)? I also thought about the principles of boiling eggs. You'd want to add the egg at the beginning so that both water and egg's temp will rise at the same time and the egg shell won't crack.

How high should I set the oven temp to bake rocks?
+1

HA! That's a great analogy, I'm gonna steal it :P.

I prefer not to boil them if they look like they might fracture, but it might be OK. I set my oven at 350 and bake my lava rocks for an hour. Thing with a porous rock like lava is that there's lots of little channels where garbage can hide and I want to make sure anything in there is dead before I put it in one of my tanks.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet

+1

HA! That's a great analogy, I'm gonna steal it :P.

I prefer not to boil them if they look like they might fracture, but it might be OK. I set my oven at 350 and bake my lava rocks for an hour. Thing with a porous rock like lava is that there's lots of little channels where garbage can hide and I want to make sure anything in there is dead before I put it in one of my tanks.

Ok. I will give that a try. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've always kind of wondered why people do this. What bacteria is likely to be on there that isn't in your home? I have a brick wall right next to one of my tanks and I'm pretty sure the breathing, sneezing and among other things the cat litter which gets thrown into the air every time our cats go no1 or no2 is more of a problem... I've put rocks into my tanks without washing them and ones which I did wash I've done it in tap water and with a scrubbing brush...
Old 05-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Baking lava rock is probably ok, because all the pores allow the moisture to escape as they heat. But some other rocks may have a fault (or crack) that has gathered some moisture over the years, and if that moisture can not escape easily, it IS possible for the rock to explode. I have a deep dent in the back wall of my oven. But don't tell my roommate...I am denying all knowledge...
Old 05-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wheatley View Post
I've always kind of wondered why people do this. What bacteria is likely to be on there that isn't in your home? I have a brick wall right next to one of my tanks and I'm pretty sure the breathing, sneezing and among other things the cat litter which gets thrown into the air every time our cats go no1 or no2 is more of a problem... I've put rocks into my tanks without washing them and ones which I did wash I've done it in tap water and with a scrubbing brush...
Thing with collecting rock in the outdoors is you don't know where they've been, pesticides, pollutants, etc collect on the surface of a regular rock. I for one wouldn't want to put a free rock in my tank and kill my fish, so a 10 minute boil is worth it. As for lava rock, you're talking 10 times worse since there's all manner of junk that can collect in the pores, so baking and boiling is a must for me.

Tags
boiling, brick, ick, oil

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com