Boiling a rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
An i do this? I really want to make sure its clean, as it has been outside and im adding it to a stocked community. I put them all in hot water awhile ago, but only put a couple i want in the tank. Now i want to add another. (abt 2.5 months later) its a holey type rock, and used to be with chiclids in someone elses tank. Thanks! Respond soon, stoves heating up!!

bruinsbro1997 said:
You could boil it, bake it, run it through the dishwasher.

Wiah that was quick, thanks bruins! So i can in fact boil it? If so, how long? Even if it wasnt completly clean, it wouldnt harm my community much right? I might even put it in, see if its got the right look, and if not, take it out.

You can boil about anything. Doing so safely is another topic. I'll never boil or bake a rock. It's not necessary, and some rocks can explode if they have air pockets in them.

mfdrookie516 said:
You can boil about anything. Doing so safely is another topic. I'll never boil or bake a rock. It's not necessary, and some rocks can explode if they have air pockets in them.

How do you safely clean it then? And i already did it but took it off as soon as i read this!! It isnt cracked and the kitchen is all good so this is a learning experience!! :)

That's what I've always done... I used a wire grill brush and a water hose. The dishwasher is an option that works well for driftwood, though it's still unecessary. I've never had any issues just scrubbing and rinsing... and I only did that so they didn't get my tank dirty.

Boiling rocks is fine as long as you keep the water in the pot until it all cools to room temp. It's major temp swings that can cause rocks to explode.

I suppose there are ways to avoid it, but why take the risk on something that doesn't need to be done? If you're getting rocks that you are concerned that much about, they shouldn't be going in the tank anyways... IMO

I've heard of people putting the rocks in the oven and baking them, apparently it kills all the stuff on it because of the heat. It has to be at a certain temp though.

mfdrookie516 said:
I suppose there are ways to avoid it, but why take the risk on something that doesn't need to be done? If you're getting rocks that you are concerned that much about, they shouldn't be going in the tank anyways... IMO

Im not that worried about the rocks persay, i just dont wanna harm my fishies with any stupid mistakes haha :D

Back
Top Bottom