Bought a Python; it "sucks" b/c it won't suck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zero2dash

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought the standard 25' Python the other day and just got around to trying it tonight.

I followed the instructions, and tried to use it - and I get no suction. Well, actually - I get about 2 seconds of suction, and then nothing.

I've rechecked the connections, making sure things are tight. My sink isn't well water, so the pressure from the sink should not be an issue. I've checked all the knobs and whatnot and they're correct.

It WILL push out water, but it won't suck water.

Is there something I'm missing that they omitted from the instructions?
I thought maybe because the piping ran along the floor, meaning it went from up to down from the sink and then back up again at the tank - that maybe that had something to do with it (since with traditional gravel vacuums, the bucket has to be below the water line) but I had no luck with that working out either.

I might sound like an idiot for asking this, but...can anyone post directions on how they use theirs? Maybe the instructions I have are missing something.

This sucks, I really was looking forward to using it. :(

You could try it on a different tap, it might be water pressure, mine didn't work from my kitchen tap but works fine from the bathroom tap. Also when you put the nozzle in the tank, make sure it is in the off position and turn the nozzle sideways to fill it and then turn to on. I had to do that for some reason the first time I used it. HTH

Also, make sure the the nozzle attached to the faucet is in the open position and the water from the tap is running. This is what creates the vacuum to pull the water out of your tank.

i think your suppose to twist it in a direction and it should pop down. (its almost exactly like a waterbed fillter

The pump is the device that connects to the sink faucet. At the base of the pump is the siphon off/on switch. Twisting it counter-clockwise will create the siphoning effect when the faucet is turned on.Tank and tap water will come out of the base of the pump.Twisting it clockwise will divert the tap water into the hose and in the tank.Also be sure the shut-off valve on the hose is in-line with the hose(or on).Hope this isn't too confusing for you.

I wound up returning it to the store (after calling the Python people).

Initially the problem was that the connector between the pump and the faucet had air leaking out; I tightened that and then soon figured out that I don't have good enough water pressure. It has enough power (suction) to suck water out of the tank, but not enough to move around/pick up gravel. *sigh* So I tried it on another faucet and had the same results.

Back to the bucket... :|

If you have it working correctly and are still not satisfied with its ability to clean gravel, why not just use it to do water changes? It is well worth the money not having to use buckets.Also if the fine plastic threads on the plastic faucet adapter become stripped,as this is a common complaint,there is a metal adapter available.

piranha said:
If you have it working correctly and are still not satisfied with its ability to clean gravel, why not just use it to do water changes? It is well worth the money not having to use buckets.Also if the fine plastic threads on the plastic faucet adapter become stripped,as this is a common complaint,there is a metal adapter available.

I can get the hosing plus faucet adapters for probably $10 at any hardware store which is all you need to be able to fill the tank - versus $30 for this thing. Plus I could probably buy longer hosing at the same time for that $10...so I took it back.

I respect your trying to save money. I also look for the least expensive way to get the same job done. But I will add that I bought my LEE brand gravel/vac for under $20.00. One question for you is what will you use to substitute the faucet pump that comes with the kit? I get great deals at the superfishstore.com and sometimes BigAlsonline.com Right now Lees' brand 25' Gravel vac at Big Al's is $19.99 plus 6.95 shipping,superfishstore.com has it for $20.66 plus $4.95 shipping

Back
Top Bottom