Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2005, 02:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to 4inchSandBed
BOWfront TANKS??

I am a Newbie to this forum

This might be a stupid question but, Im debating on whether or not to get a bow front tank because ive noticed that when u look at them the fish and water look distorted. Does this happen with all bow front tanks or am i seeing things? Thanks

DONT ever neglect your sand

Old 03-18-2005, 02:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think smaller bowfront tanks have more distortion than bigger ones, what size are you planning to get?

Old 03-18-2005, 02:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Im planning on getting a 56 gallon corner bowfront this Sunday. But i dont wanna get dizzy everytime i look at the tank, i wanna be able to stare at it and enjoy it.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think the corner bows have even more distortion than the regular bows.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have the 55 gallon AGA bowfront. I know what you mean with the distortion, but it's really not that bad. Sometimes it's like seeing them through a magnifying glass. Things can look very big.

However, that being said. The only reason I went with a corner unit was because I HAD to, in order to fit the tank in the only available spot I had for it. Had I had the option of buying a "regular" long 55g tank, I would have. Because 1.) It is more difficult to aqua scape with live rock and such. We are torn wether to go with the shape of the walls and put the rock in a V, or aquascape straight across and ignore the V. Does that make sense?
2.) My second reason for not being crazy about the corner unit is that you will see that some fish require a lot of swimming space. While a Yellow Tang may do fine in a "regular" 55 gallon, mine may not have enough room for him to swim. That is what I've been told here, anyway.

Hope that helps!!

DJ
Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a 92 gallon Corner Bow and I love it. I scaped using the "V" and it looks great. What I also like is that you do get a almost magnifying effect in the tank and things look bigger, which is not a bad thing starting new.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
Hey sandbed, i too was originally gonna go with a 46 gallon bowfront, then i saw one in the fish store that was actually set up and it mad me dizzy 8O , that may be just me. I went with a 50 gallon made by oceanic and couldnt be happier. Welcome to aquariumadvice, and never neglet the sand.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've got a 46g bow and things do look distorted up close from certain angles. It looks great from a few feet back but I still wouldn't buy another one.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 12:26 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks guy for the comments. I think im still gonna go ahead and get a Corner Bowfront. Ive been doin my research and i cant wait to get started on my saltwater tank. Im sure ill be askin alot of questions! Wish me luck

its really more than 4inches
Old 03-21-2005, 02:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I did see a very cool corner tank setup at my dad's buddies house a long time ago. He actually have for of them in the center of a room. All in a circle. 1 was SW I remember and the other 3 were assorted fresh water tanks. It was a pretty neat setup.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowfront, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com