BOWfront TANKS??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4inchSandBed

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am a Newbie to this forum

This might be a stupid question but, Im debating on whether or not to get a bow front tank because ive noticed that when u look at them the fish and water look distorted. Does this happen with all bow front tanks or am i seeing things? Thanks

DONT ever neglect your sand

I think smaller bowfront tanks have more distortion than bigger ones, what size are you planning to get?

Im planning on getting a 56 gallon corner bowfront this Sunday. But i dont wanna get dizzy everytime i look at the tank, i wanna be able to stare at it and enjoy it. :(

I have the 55 gallon AGA bowfront. I know what you mean with the distortion, but it's really not that bad. Sometimes it's like seeing them through a magnifying glass. Things can look very big.

However, that being said. The only reason I went with a corner unit was because I HAD to, in order to fit the tank in the only available spot I had for it. Had I had the option of buying a "regular" long 55g tank, I would have. Because 1.) It is more difficult to aqua scape with live rock and such. We are torn wether to go with the shape of the walls and put the rock in a V, or aquascape straight across and ignore the V. Does that make sense?
2.) My second reason for not being crazy about the corner unit is that you will see that some fish require a lot of swimming space. While a Yellow Tang may do fine in a "regular" 55 gallon, mine may not have enough room for him to swim. That is what I've been told here, anyway.

Hope that helps!!

DJ

I have a 92 gallon Corner Bow and I love it. I scaped using the "V" and it looks great. What I also like is that you do get a almost magnifying effect in the tank and things look bigger, which is not a bad thing starting new.

Hey sandbed, i too was originally gonna go with a 46 gallon bowfront, then i saw one in the fish store that was actually set up and it mad me dizzy 8O , that may be just me. I went with a 50 gallon made by oceanic and couldnt be happier. Welcome to aquariumadvice, and never neglet the sand. :drinking:

I've got a 46g bow and things do look distorted up close from certain angles. It looks great from a few feet back but I still wouldn't buy another one.

thanks guy for the comments. I think im still gonna go ahead and get a Corner Bowfront. Ive been doin my research and i cant wait to get started on my saltwater tank. Im sure ill be askin alot of questions! Wish me luck

its really more than 4inches :)

I did see a very cool corner tank setup at my dad's buddies house a long time ago. He actually have for of them in the center of a room. All in a circle. 1 was SW I remember and the other 3 were assorted fresh water tanks. It was a pretty neat setup.

Back
Top Bottom