Brand new Aquaclear 110 noisy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IllusionX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have 2 Aquaclear filters, an old AC500 and this brand new AC110. The 500 is old and was making noise so I got a new impeller and a new shaft for it. It's dead silent.

Forward to yesterday, I received a brand new AC110 to put alongside my Eheim 2228 in a 65g. The AC110 is noise!! Something is rattling so I took the motor out and lubbed the impeller shaft and it is still making noise.

I read on another forum the impeller cover might sit too close, and rattling away, but the cover doesn't move, it's locked in place.

Anyone has any idea how to get this noise away? I always get 50% of my AC filters that come noise and Hagen won't help.

No idea I purchased AN aquaclear myself awhile back due to recommendations and turned out the thing was noisier then my older filter so I returned it

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems AC filters are a hit or miss. Fluval make similar filters, and use the same motor and impeller, yet I haven't heard them making noise.

Quality Control? It sucks because AC make the biggest HOB.

I already had an AC50 running (silent) and got a second one. Noisy! I let it run for a few days. Did not help. On a whim I swapped the impellers. The result: two almost quiet filters. Not perfect but acceptable.
Yeah, might be the QC (or lack of).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

AC110's are great for filtering but they tend to be loud. I have 5 sitting in my garage unused. I switched to canister filters and I have not looked back.

Why not two canisters? If you are mainly looking for mechanical filtration you can go with a cheaper Sunsun, Aquatop or ZenBlue.

I also have an Eheim 2217. It's just a pain to prime.

I have no issues priming mine.. ? Suggestion for you to fill the thing up to the top when you put the top back on... otherwise you will find it hard to prime it.. I haven't had to suck on the hose one with my eheim.. fill it to the top then put the motor back on.. easy..

It's not priming issues. I just hate to fill it up and push down the motor leaking everywhere. It's really not like my 2228. Anyways, ill see about returning the AC110.

I have an AC110 and an AC70, both dead silent. They make a heck of a racket until they fully prime after a water change, but then remain silent.

IIRC, the removable black top plate in them holds the top end of the motor shaft; perhaps it isn't lined up properly allowing the impeller to rub something?

That's something I have to look into.

I have to wait till next water change to take it apart again. But looking at it run, it looks like the impeller is sliding UP and hitting that black top plate.

Afaik, the impeller should be pulled down by the motor when it is running.

The magnet should try to center itself into the motor when running; whether it moves up or down just depends on it's position with the motor off. Sounds like the quality issue is with the height they glue the magnet at.

It does sound like the motor magnet is not properly aligning it. But I did try to use my old motor with the new impeller and same result. Maybe the impeller is faulty? Like I said previously or maybe it was on another thread, anything related to the impeller, Hagen doesn't want to deal with.

Here is where the impeller is hitting on. I also tried pulling this cover up, and the impeller still goes up and hit that thing?!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429289330.243523.jpg

I guess it's time to contact where I bought this...

Back
Top Bottom