Brand new tank with supplied media and pump ut keeps overflowing. Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tezhar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hiya,

I have brand new tank with supplied media and pump but it keeps overflowing. I added sand to it which needed clearing. Is it that I need to keep changing the media filters for a week or so.....(the water looks quite clear though). Or is the pump too fast for the flow out?

Anybody aware of this kind of problem at all? Is it common? My tank is quite new out and can't help thinking its a bad design maybe?

I have a 130litre aquavis for aqua one.

Thanks in advance,

Teresa.

When you're saying it's overflowing, there's only a certain amount of water in the tank so I presume you mean it's spitting out?

Have you tried lowering the amount of water in the tank by 5 litres or so?

I assume you are running a plumbed sump? If that is the case it sounds as if you are returning too much water. Can you throttle the return line(s)?

I assume you are running a plumbed sump? If that is the case it sounds as if you are returning too much water. Can you throttle the return line(s)?

OP has one of these. I presumed she was talking about the built-in filter.

Hi,

Thanks so much for the replies. And yes, the link is the tank thati have.

The pump supplied is a Moray 480. Do you think this pump could be too fast for this tank?? And that it is returning to much water as previously said on this thread??? Their is no way of turning down the pump flow. At the moment we are having to take the media out when we go to bed and when we go out as the water level rises in the tank and starts touching the lights. Every so many hours when the water touches the lights we have to rinse the media filters under the tap which I know is not ideal for the fish. Also it runs fine with only just the sponge and bags of ceramic noodles. Could the carbon and ceramic filter medians be too efficient somehow??

We are going back to the shop tomorrow and am worried about being palmed off and not sure how to tackle it.

All advice very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Teresa.

I have zero clue about that tank (but it looks sweet). Sorry. If there isn't a way to lower the flow with a valve on the return line or adjust pump flow, I'm really not sure what to advise. Have you tried to lower the water level as bloke mentioned?

You may have just put too much water in the tank. Try lowering the water level, if that doesn't work then return it for a replacement.

You may have just put too much water in the tank. Try lowering the water level, if that doesn't work then return it for a replacement.

Hiya,

I've filled it to the correct level. Their are slots that the water flows out of so the water has to be up to that level or else it can't flow out. So lowering it is not a possibility. And even if I could lower the water it would still eventually reach the lights and beyond if I didn't keep an eye on it.

Getting really disheartened with it now. :-(

X

If that's the case, take a video of it on your phone to show the shopkeeper tomorrow. At least then it's not just your word against his when he'll say "That's normal" which it probably isn't.

I'd return it and get a new one.

Thanks bloke,

I've just looked up the filter system and it is different to other tanks. It's called the trickle system. Their is no filter pump sucking water out. It relies on a trickle of water coming out of the grids. Doesn't seem a tank that you can leave to go away for a weekend let alone for a whole week.

Even if we was offered a less powerful pump I guess all that would mean is that it will just be longer periods of by a day maybe to start overflowing.

Is it a bad idea to change the filter media to just wool and leave out the carbon? Although I don't see why I should if the tank is supposed to operate as provided.

Also I don't know how I would transfer my fish if I am not given a replacement before returning the tank.

Sorry to be pain and thank you for your time

? x

Sounds like you will need to put less media/carbon/wool in the filter to allow water to flow out more freely. I would skip the carbon, although floss is probably most restrictive. Nice setup. good luck with it.

Most people don't use carbon in their tanks, I tend to leave about 100 grams in it each month; I have 2 very large canister filters on my tank though.

I'd replace it for bio media or wool.

Thank very much peeps for all your advice. I have been to the shop I bought it from and they say that the order that the media and filtered are arranged appear to be a little back to front. They said that really aqua one should perhaps of put the sponge first and the carbon and ceramic cartridges second. and that the cartridges are too fine. They also explained that these were not really needed as you have said on this thread.

They are going to take up the matter of the fault on the tank with aqua one in the new year. And I have bought a fluval edge carbon bag to drop into the now empty chamber. I now have no problems and feel reassured by this thread and the pet shop that they are not really needed.

Thanks so much for all the help. So much still to learn it seems.

Am now going to research the threads about German blue rams. As I have two females and a male and am getting the gist I should have them in pairs!! Lol !!

Happy New Year!!!

Xx

Back
Top Bottom