BRAND of FILTER for 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 29g is in need of an upgrade in filtration... Its a hand me down tank off Craigslist that came with a filter rated for a 30g. Tank up and running and established for 5 mths. I'll use the filter media from current filter to seed new filter.

What brand? I've had good luck with Aqueon in my 10g and 20g. I also dont want to spend a heap of money but want decent quality. Is Aqueon good?
My tank is stocked/borderline overstocked... Doing two 50% PWC a week... Parameters steady and under control at:

Ph- 8.0
Ammo- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10

Inhabitants:

- 3 adult female mollies
- 3 juvie female mollies
- 2 platies m/f
- 1 female betta
- 2 Otos

Fed Omega One Color Enhancing Flakes every other day.

Should I go with double filtration because of my stock? Rated for a 60g?

It's all up to choice, except with Aqueon in my opinion. I feel Aqueon would not be a good option for this large of a tank. I use the Marineland bio-wheel 350. This is a really beastly filter and will really make your water sparkle. You could also go with a DIY canister filter if you feel up to the challenge of making one. It really is not that hard and you can customize it to whatever you want. Mine cost around 100 bucks with tube and everything. Hope this helps! :D

I used Aqueon for my SW and it broke for some random reason after about 2 months. I switched to Aquaclear and I've never been happier. Aquaclear also offers a lot of options for modifications, such as turning it into a HOB refugium.

Summary: go for AquaClear 50

I used Aqueon for my SW and it broke for some random reason after about 2 months. I switched to Aquaclear and I've never been happier. Aquaclear also offers a lot of options for modifications, such as turning it into a HOB refugium.

Summary: go for AquaClear 50
I am happy you added a summary to your post. It made me laugh! Anywho, aquaclears are really nice and are great for modifications. If you are interested, so can the Marineland filters.

Is the present filter working? That tank is not heavily stocked. in fact I would say it is lightly stocked. From the numbers posted, it would seem the filter is doing the job. How often do you clean the filter? The nitrate number seems a little high (although it is a great number) for two 50% water changes per week and the light feeding/stocking.

BillD said:
Is the present filter working? That tank is not heavily stocked. in fact I would say it is lightly stocked. From the numbers posted, it would seem the filter is doing the job. How often do you clean the filter? The nitrate number seems a little high (although it is a great number) for two 50% water changes per week and the light feeding/stocking.

10 ppm of nitrate for an unplanted tank seems high? I battled to get all my tanks under 20-40 because it was coming out of the tap at 20 for quite awhile....
Yes filter is working. Rarely clean the filter.. Maybe twice swishing in tank water since October..

Good to hear that you are doing lots of water changes. Its a fantastic idea to rinse those filter pads more often. Once per week is a good target. Its not hard and it doesnt take long to do. Your fish will benifit from less dissolved waste flowing in the water. IMO your tank is at max capacity, but i dont know too much about your fish and their care requirement.

Terrance said:
Good to hear that you are doing lots of water changes. Its a fantastic idea to rinse those filter pads more often. Once per week is a good target. Its not hard and it doesnt take long to do. Your fish will benifit from less dissolved waste flowing in the water. IMO your tank is at max capacity, but i dont know too much about your fish and their care requirement.

The position of the back of the tank makes or very hard to reach the filter... If the lid falls off I have to slide my fingers in carefully almost scratching my knuckles... I took shelf off, put tank in, and put shelf back up..

The position of the back of the tank makes or very hard to reach the filter... If the lid falls off I have to slide my fingers in carefully almost scratching my knuckles... I took shelf off, put tank in, and put shelf back up..

That's why I use a canister. I never have to fiddle with equipment at the tank. The canister sits on a shelf below the tank with the hoses running in the narrow gap between the tank and wall. Granted the initial cost is probably 2x but the flexibility and ease of use has been worth it.

I would either suggest a aqua clear 70 ( what I run on my 29g) or a canister filter - look on Amazon.com. they have very good prices

Back
Top Bottom