Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2003, 11:07 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's what 330 watts look like. Must be like noon on the Amazon The enclosure is 72x10x5 1/2. Home Depot cut all the pine to length so all I had to do was predrill and screw. Even with 6 reflectors, it doesn't generate enough heat to need a fan.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have an AH kit due this week (1-9-04) I will take pictures of the process and make them available if no one has already done this.

Jay

Old 01-05-2004, 05:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Punkymom
Hopefully your kit comes soon...My tank has been without lights now for 2 days so I have to get this thing under way...and I'd love to see pics of the procedure.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:27 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Hehe. Well, I'm getting a 4*65W (I know they're not any more powerful than the 55Ws) Coralife fixture, so I'll let you know how that looks on my 55 gallon when it arrives. Gettin' it really cheap, so no complaints!
Old 01-11-2004, 06:08 AM   #15

OK Folks - here are my pictures of the basic steps installing an AH kit. The project took me about 1.5 hours to complete. I was going slowly and taking the pictures. The hardest part for me was measuring the plastic mounting posts on the hood for drilling the holes in the relector. I went slow and got it right the first time.

The file is a bit large at 3.5 meg but I wanted to make sure there was plenty of detail. Remember that these pictures are only for understanding what work will be involved and is not intended to replace the instructions that come with the kit. Since this involves electrical work I would strongly suggest that you follow the instructions closely.

BTW I really like the difference the light made and I am very pleased with the kit.

http://clubbusa.com/Jay/Aqlight.zip
Old 01-11-2004, 05:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to MantisX Send a message via AIM to MantisX Send a message via MSN to MantisX Send a message via Yahoo to MantisX
My brother has a 75 gallon hes interested in planting after seeing my little 10 gallon.(Sibling battles) Anyhow, I directed him towards the ahsupply site. Whats he gonna need to grow swordplants, java and higher light plants like hairgrass? His current hood only has 40 watts of light. Thats less than a watt per gallon!
Old 01-12-2004, 09:28 AM   #17

How much work does he want? He can go right to a 4x55 watt kit and have 2.93 wpg which is really more light than that as the wpg rule starts to break down on tanks in this size range. It would be enough light to allow him to grow just about anything he wants. The drawback is he would need a pressurized CO2 system.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:04 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to OneFishTwoFish
Can't agree more about AH Kits

Based off of this thread I ordered two of the 36W18" kits ( http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm ) on Tuesday to retrofit/replace the woeful 15w18"ers that came with my tank. Got them on Thursday and had them installed and working in less than 1 1/2 hours. And boy do they make a difference. I highly recommend them.

jclubb I found the best way to get the post locations for the reflector was to coat them with a lot of sharpie ink and then before it had a chance to dry, press down on the reflector on to the posts. I got a nice circle showing me the exact location of the post and didn't have to worry about screwing up the measurements.

Their website again for any interested parties http://www.ahsupply.com
Old 01-16-2004, 05:35 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
the wpg rule starts to break down on tanks in this size range
can you explain how/why the rule breaks down?
Old 01-16-2004, 06:11 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED???

i'll tell you what happened...i just bought my 2x55 bright kit from ahsupply and i couldn't be more excited. i was going to buy the 1x96, but then i realized how short it was and figured there would be dark spots on the sides of the tank. two 22" 55watt kits should be able to be spaced out pretty equally. the interior of the tank is going to be 54.25", i can bring each light in 3.5"in from the side and that should be about equal spacing. plus, i get more light! 110w vs 96w!

anybody know about how long it takes for them to ship?

Tags
supply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com