Broke heater from water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angellove78

Aquarium Advice Addict
Did a water change in my 10 gallon Betta tank. Cracked my nice new heater from the water I was replacing. Had to do a big water change on this tank (new with fish in cycle) I got too close to the heater but the water temp wasn't much different. Maybe by 2 degrees. Cheap heater anyways. Conclusion: you pay double. Might as well get a good one. Oh, and don't dump the water by the heater when doing a big water change. Unplug it and wait for it to cool down. Oops!

Sometimes a small power strip for the light, heater and anything else plugged in that should be off for a pwc or work in the tank. Just set a timer or something to remember to turn it back on. I have burned myself from an over heating heater I took out of a tank and forgot about, big oops.

Have tried the power strip before and it was convenient. Used it recently on my 72G tank when I do a canister filter pwc or clean out. Just need to remember to use it. It is easier than moving the heater down and up as you remove and add back the water!

Glad you didn't get hurt.

IMG_3999.jpg
On the right side is the power strip with ON/OFF toggle referred to in the previous post
Don’t ask why the timers have different times. Oops

Yeah, my 10 gallon is still in the works. Not set up the way I'd like it to be yet. Still getting it cycled and trying to keep my Betta happy. The warmer and cleaner the tank, the happier he is. 80 degrees is pour happiness non-stop swimming. I watch him for hours. I'll be getting a strip plug. I just wanted to post my mistake for others. I got a back up heater. We're OK for now.

IMG_20171019_141406.jpgindividual switching sockets and a timer for lights, just turn the heater off and away you go!

Yeah, my 10 gallon is still in the works. Not set up the way I'd like it to be yet. Still getting it cycled and trying to keep my Betta happy. The warmer and cleaner the tank, the happier he is. 80 degrees is pour happiness non-stop swimming. I watch him for hours. I'll be getting a strip plug. I just wanted to post my mistake for others. I got a back up heater. We're OK for now.

I must have cracked a heater that way every 6 months for the longest time
now I keep it on the bottom of the back wall parallel to to the floor of tank
this way it's always submerged and hidden (y) no matter how much water I take out

I love a gadget, £14 for that switching strip plug, £5 for the switching multiple plug, never had an accident with heaters or filters ?

On mine there is a RCD / GFI switch at wall (just in case), then a 6 plug powerboard that has 4 timers on it. I think it has:

Timer 1 - lights x 2.
Timer 2 - CO2 solenoid and 2 diffusers.
Timer 3 - canister filters x 2.
Timer 4 - internal filter and I think part of UV unit that I no longer run.

Plug 5 - air pump (not used).

Plug 6 - heaters x 2.

Never really missed a beat. Every so often a timer will stop working properly. Never been game to work out electricity use.

Back
Top Bottom