Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Broke my filter :(

Hi all,
I have a RenaFilstar XP1 (it came with the tank when I bought it). I was cleaning it out today, and as I brought it downstairs it slipped out and the case shattered. Basically, I need to know how long the fish can survive without a filter. I already ordered a new case since that was the only part that was broken. Hopefully I will get it before the end of the week, but in case I don't I need to know if there is anything I need to do to keep my fish alive. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would put the media (ceramic rings, sponge, etc) in a bag in the tank so it stays wet and doesn't die off. You may want to do water changes every few days. Do you have a powerhead?

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
If the tank is a cycled tank, then you might only need to put in a small powerhead for circulation, as the gravel should be enough, unless you have lots of fish. Even an air wand will provide circulation as well. How big is the tank and how many fish? And how long has the tank been running?, And as FishyFanatic said, put the media in a filter bag or a new pantyhose sock or something, and keep it in the tank.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to PsiPro Send a message via MSN to PsiPro
If you dont have a powerhead use a airstone like was said above, those create a strong current if turned on all the way.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #5

I don't have a power head. I've had the aquarium for almost 2 years, and it was an active aquarium before I bought it so I don't know exactly how long its been running. It is a 40 gallon tank that may be slightly overstocked (it came that way) with a few plants. Unfortunately Anacharis is the only plant I can keep looking semi-healthy. The fish are actually very healthy and doing very well from what I can tell. I have an air pump thingy in the aquarium right now make sure there is oxygen in the water for the fish (is this what an air wand is?). I also just put the filter media in the tank.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

A bubble wand is a longer air stone that spreads the air out further. Basically you need to have more current in the tank to prevent dead areas. A bubble want is a good alternative to a power head and is cheaper.

Since the tank is overstocked you may want to do water changes every day of about 25%, just to be sure.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you can get to a pet store, I would recommend either getting a small powerhead, or a minimum of a 12 inch bubble wand/air stone. That way you are spreading out the current. And place it centered in the back of the tank.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:08 PM   #8

I don't think any pet stores are open right now, but I'll try to pick one up tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually, the pet stores here are open til 5pm on Sundays. You could try calling one to see if they are open. I wouldn't waste a trip, just in case.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:15 PM   #10

I started going through all the stuff that came with the aquarium and found a 12 inch air stone. I hooked it up, and now its in the back of my aquarium

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com