Broke my filter :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cghill

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
I have a RenaFilstar XP1 (it came with the tank when I bought it). I was cleaning it out today, and as I brought it downstairs it slipped out and the case shattered. Basically, I need to know how long the fish can survive without a filter. I already ordered a new case since that was the only part that was broken. Hopefully I will get it before the end of the week, but in case I don't I need to know if there is anything I need to do to keep my fish alive. Thanks!

I would put the media (ceramic rings, sponge, etc) in a bag in the tank so it stays wet and doesn't die off. You may want to do water changes every few days. Do you have a powerhead?

If the tank is a cycled tank, then you might only need to put in a small powerhead for circulation, as the gravel should be enough, unless you have lots of fish. Even an air wand will provide circulation as well. How big is the tank and how many fish? And how long has the tank been running?, And as FishyFanatic said, put the media in a filter bag or a new pantyhose sock or something, and keep it in the tank.

If you dont have a powerhead use a airstone like was said above, those create a strong current if turned on all the way.

I don't have a power head. I've had the aquarium for almost 2 years, and it was an active aquarium before I bought it so I don't know exactly how long its been running. It is a 40 gallon tank that may be slightly overstocked (it came that way) with a few plants. Unfortunately Anacharis is the only plant I can keep looking semi-healthy. The fish are actually very healthy and doing very well from what I can tell. I have an air pump thingy in the aquarium right now make sure there is oxygen in the water for the fish (is this what an air wand is?). I also just put the filter media in the tank.

A bubble wand is a longer air stone that spreads the air out further. Basically you need to have more current in the tank to prevent dead areas. A bubble want is a good alternative to a power head and is cheaper.

Since the tank is overstocked you may want to do water changes every day of about 25%, just to be sure.

If you can get to a pet store, I would recommend either getting a small powerhead, or a minimum of a 12 inch bubble wand/air stone. That way you are spreading out the current. And place it centered in the back of the tank.

I don't think any pet stores are open right now, but I'll try to pick one up tomorrow.

Actually, the pet stores here are open til 5pm on Sundays. You could try calling one to see if they are open. I wouldn't waste a trip, just in case.

I started going through all the stuff that came with the aquarium and found a 12 inch air stone. I hooked it up, and now its in the back of my aquarium

I would also suggest not feeding your fish till you get a filter (or at least feed them a lot less). Less food = Less poop = Less amonnia.

That is a good point hasbaz. Your fish can be without food for several days so do not feed them until you have a new filter.

greenmaji said:
I would have epoxied the filter back together.. *shrug*
thats funny, i can picture this pile of small pieces. LOL

No food and the airstone will be sufficent for a while, just keep up the PWC's

trotty said:
greenmaji said:
I would have epoxied the filter back together.. *shrug*
thats funny, i can picture this pile of small pieces. LOL

So did I, then I thought about getting in my car and going to the wallyworld and picking up some of that epoxy with the mixing tube attached that has a fine tip.. then bringing it home and epoxing the filter together..

Ive superglued huge cracks in powerfilters.. and they worked great for many years, I know were some of them are still running..
I would definatly epoxy a filter back together, even if it was in shards..

JMHO

If it was me I would run out and get a cheap HOB filter to use temporarily.

I keep have a couple containers of old parts and a few small fish tanks just in case something like that ever happened.

Back
Top Bottom