Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Broken Aquaclear 110 Filter?

My boyfriend and I ony recently purchased a 36 gallon tank, which included the Aquaclear 110. Today at some point, the filter ran itself dry and when we returned home at the end of the day will not run at all. I'm hoping there might be an easy solution, as purchasing a new filter would not be ideal. Thank you so much for any help you can offer!

Old 11-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Will the filter impeller spin? Because if that actual motor is toast then you just need to get a new motor which you could prob get for a decent deal online. Take it off the filter and plug it in, if it spins your fine. Just fill the filter and then plug it in. Make sure your water level isn't too low also because that will affect its ability to siphon. It may take a few minutes for the siphon to reach the bend so give it time

Old 11-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Where did you buy it? Petsmart will take back the filter if you just got it. Just tell them it stopped working
Old 11-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #4

Fill up the filter with water (while it's on the tank) and plug it in.

Take out the filter tube and use the pointed end to apply a little pressure to the top of the impeller "fan".

I have to do this with all of my Aquaclears after the housing empties itself of water during normal water changes.

I hope this works for you....
Old 11-08-2013, 02:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Take the motor off. Pull impeller and shift out. If there is any crud in the motor housing, or on the impeller or shaft, that can stop it dead. If messed up, look into an aqueous quite flow 55/75. I have had both the 110 and 55/75. The 55/75 is much more efficient and a lot more dependable than the 110, in my experience. Just be careful with fine substrate or sand. And that goes with both filters. The 110 has way to much water bypass anyways. Yes, I am against any hagen products. But that is due to experience and lack of customer service and product support. Fluval and aquaclear both will not honor product warranty. And that is from personal experience. The 55/75 is half the cost, and, if u can think outside the box, just as customizable as the 110.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #6

I spent yesterday evening cleaning the impeller and inside the impeller well with q-tips and it works!!! The filter came with the fully established tank, so I got it secondhand. The woman I purchased it from had bought it from Amazon last spring, and it was supposed to have a lifetime warranty, but talking with her we weren't even sure how to go about getting that warranty honored. Hopefully, we will get that figured out in the near future, in case something goes wrong.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Tags
aquac, aquaclear, clear, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com