Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbug68

You use a razor blade to cut the old silicone and pry off the old trim. You can find videos on YouTube to help you out, then silicone the new one on. Is the tank still cycling or finished? You could just put your filter media, fish, and some tank water in a bucket while you work on the tank. As long as the media stays wet you're in the clear. I wouldn't lower the water level, just looks bad and there's still a risk of the tank starting to leak.
Still cycling, so I feel like if I do replace it I should lower it to minimize bowing, the outer edges are measuring 12 1/2 inches, center measuring 13 so about a half inch bow in center... Off to invest in more buckets and supplies now.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Old 11-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

That bracket is important. And I'm sure if it's snapped that the tank is bowing. I fixed a cracked 55 this past summer. Not difficult to replace. Just a pain cleaning off all the silicone. I ran mine open top with a metal clamp to help keep from bowing. Had it for months that way up until I decided to put money into that tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2325393505.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	129351  
Old 11-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aski247
That bracket is important. And I'm sure if it's snapped that the tank is bowing. I fixed a cracked 55 this past summer. Not difficult to replace. Just a pain cleaning off all the silicone. I ran mine open top with a metal clamp to help keep from bowing. Had it for months that way up until I decided to put money into that tank.
Cool thank you I'm going to the hardware store and I just might check out clamps like that
Old 11-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is nerve wracking. I made a brace out of aluminum for the centers reinforcement. Now I have to figure out how to reinforce so my lids sit where they should. Ou
Old 11-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

My tank cracked this evening. I made an aluminum brace for it and the only thing I can think is maybe it was a bit to tight and didn't have enough give... I know when my in law was helping with it he at one point tapped the tank a bit hard on accedent so that may have caused it. Either way, I need a new tank because I don't trust myself to DIY fix it now.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakwood
My tank cracked this evening. I made an aluminum brace for it and the only thing I can think is maybe it was a bit to tight and didn't have enough give... I know when my in law was helping with it he at one point tapped the tank a bit hard on accedent so that may have caused it. Either way, I need a new tank because I don't trust myself to DIY fix it now.
Hate to say I told ya so...
Billbug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

In hind site I should have just tried to order one and do it right instead of being impatient and DIY-it. I'm taking it as lesson learned, and I'm buying a new tank that will hopefully have a warranty and I won't have to worry about any accidents. Wish I had more trust for Craigslist but I'm not paying new prices for a used tank that I don't know is going to be solid like I said my in law tapped it pretty hard trying to get a brace in at first and I remember cringing, it's very possible he caused a small crack when doing that so I don't know if it would have held if that wouldn't have happened. But specifically to anyone with kids, I would NOT risk an accident.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'm just giving you a hard time, it really could have been the tap. I get impatient all the time too. Lesson learned, and believe me, I've learned it a hundred times before... Best to do it right the first time!
Billbug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nothing is wrong with CL buys. I bought a 55 for 30$ had a cracked top bracket, and needed to be re sealed. With some quick research on how to fix it properly, I ended up saving 50-70$ and might as well called a new tank at that point.

Now granted. There was so much silicone under the plastic piece several times I wanted to just tip the tank over and hit with a hammer... But... After the hard work it paid off.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com