Broken center bracket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teakwood

Aquarium Advice Freak
The center bracket on my 55 is broken is there something typically used to fix/replace these I could find at a hardware store? I figured I could find a similar sized piece of metal or something but hoping someone has a specific recommendation. Thanks

Now I'm really worried after googling... The tank was a friend of mines dads and he ran it for as long as she can remember with the bracket broken. Of course I can't find my measuring tape to make sure there is no bowing but the tank is filled and cycling, I never considered that the plastic could be an important support piece I just assumed it was so the lid and lights fit on top. Any recommendations?

U can buy another top. U can also make a metal brace to replace the broken brace.

Kio707 said:
U can buy another top. U can also make a metal brace to replace the broken brace.

Is it possible to post pics on this forum? I assume I can rig something assuming there is no bowing in the tank but the center bracket it's self is not the only thing broken the plastic front and center is also

Teakwood said:
Is it possible to post pics on this forum? I assume I can rig something assuming there is no bowing in the tank but the center bracket it's self is not the only thing broken the plastic front and center is also

Yes...u can attach them from home CPU or use + key on phone app.

Just pry this on me off and silicone a new one on? Can I just lower the water really low? I don't really want to entirely start my cycle over if I can avoid it.

Teakwood said:
Just pry this on me off and silicone a new one on? Can I just lower the water really low? I don't really want to entirely start my cycle over if I can avoid it.

You use a razor blade to cut the old silicone and pry off the old trim. You can find videos on YouTube to help you out, then silicone the new one on. Is the tank still cycling or finished? You could just put your filter media, fish, and some tank water in a bucket while you work on the tank. As long as the media stays wet you're in the clear. I wouldn't lower the water level, just looks bad and there's still a risk of the tank starting to leak.

If this link works, it will show you how to make a new center brace out of aluminum. Good luck.

Billbug68 said:
You use a razor blade to cut the old silicone and pry off the old trim. You can find videos on YouTube to help you out, then silicone the new one on. Is the tank still cycling or finished? You could just put your filter media, fish, and some tank water in a bucket while you work on the tank. As long as the media stays wet you're in the clear. I wouldn't lower the water level, just looks bad and there's still a risk of the tank starting to leak.

Still cycling, so I feel like if I do replace it I should lower it to minimize bowing, the outer edges are measuring 12 1/2 inches, center measuring 13 so about a half inch bow in center... Off to invest in more buckets and supplies now.

Kama55 said:

If this link works, it will show you how to make a new center brace out of aluminum. Good luck.

Fabulous thank you! Hilarious too!

That bracket is important. And I'm sure if it's snapped that the tank is bowing. I fixed a cracked 55 this past summer. Not difficult to replace. Just a pain cleaning off all the silicone. I ran mine open top with a metal clamp to help keep from bowing. Had it for months that way up until I decided to put money into that tank.

Attachments

• image-2325393505.jpg
    image-2325393505.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 70
Aski247 said:
That bracket is important. And I'm sure if it's snapped that the tank is bowing. I fixed a cracked 55 this past summer. Not difficult to replace. Just a pain cleaning off all the silicone. I ran mine open top with a metal clamp to help keep from bowing. Had it for months that way up until I decided to put money into that tank.

Cool thank you I'm going to the hardware store and I just might check out clamps like that

This is nerve wracking. I made a brace out of aluminum for the centers reinforcement. Now I have to figure out how to reinforce so my lids sit where they should. Ou

My tank cracked this evening. I made an aluminum brace for it and the only thing I can think is maybe it was a bit to tight and didn't have enough give... I know when my in law was helping with it he at one point tapped the tank a bit hard on accedent so that may have caused it. Either way, I need a new tank because I don't trust myself to DIY fix it now.

Teakwood said:
My tank cracked this evening. I made an aluminum brace for it and the only thing I can think is maybe it was a bit to tight and didn't have enough give... I know when my in law was helping with it he at one point tapped the tank a bit hard on accedent so that may have caused it. Either way, I need a new tank because I don't trust myself to DIY fix it now.

Hate to say I told ya so...

In hind site I should have just tried to order one and do it right instead of being impatient and DIY-it. I'm taking it as lesson learned, and I'm buying a new tank that will hopefully have a warranty and I won't have to worry about any accidents. Wish I had more trust for Craigslist but I'm not paying new prices for a used tank that I don't know is going to be solid :)like I said my in law tapped it pretty hard trying to get a brace in at first and I remember cringing, it's very possible he caused a small crack when doing that so I don't know if it would have held if that wouldn't have happened. But specifically to anyone with kids, I would NOT risk an accident.

I'm just giving you a hard time, it really could have been the tap. I get impatient all the time too. Lesson learned, and believe me, I've learned it a hundred times before... Best to do it right the first time!

Nothing is wrong with CL buys. I bought a 55 for 30$ had a cracked top bracket, and needed to be re sealed. With some quick research on how to fix it properly, I ended up saving 50-70$ and might as well called a new tank at that point.

Now granted. There was so much silicone under the plastic piece several times I wanted to just tip the tank over and hit with a hammer... But... After the hard work it paid off.

Back
Top Bottom