Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Broken Eheim Ecco 2232 handle

The handle on one of my Eheim Ecco 2232's has broken. Looking around online, this seems to be something that happens from time to time. They sell the replacement part, but thats not really an issue as I have an unused filter that I can scavenge the part from.

Heres a link to the part in question:
Amazon.com : Eheim AEH7312628 Handle Clip Eccos Designed for Aquarium : Pet Supplies

The problem Im having is that I cant seem to either remove the part.... neither the old, broken one or the brand new unused one.
Does anybody have any experience with this problem?

Worst case, I can just use switch out the filter completely. Id like to avoid this because I cant get the old filter open to get the bio media out of it.

Coyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I had similar problems with mine and not getting it to open etc. I was given the Eheim filters and have sunset switched over to Fluval.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
The Ecco handle retention pieces you mention can break easily if you apply too much pressure when moving the handle up and down. I have a number of Ecco filters and always keep a spare set of these pieces around in case I accidently break one.

When you look at the Ecco handle from the side you will see that the piece that broke (handle retention clip) has a small tab on it. When you rotate the handle so that it is horizontal a small notch on it will align with this tab nad the handle can be pulled straight out from the canister. There is enough flex in the handle to remove one side then the other. If one side is busted then you just have to remove the non broken side.

Once you have the handle removed the handle retention clips just push in toward the canister and slide out. Just remove the broken one and slide in a new one (look at the good one for the correct orientation).

Align the handle hole notches with the retention clip tabs and the handle should be good as new. The handle itself can break as well so I always have a spare one of those as well.

The Ecco filters are not nearly as heavy duty as the Pro II/III models. They work fine but have to be treated with care (never force the handle).
jcahow is offline   Reply With Quote

eheim, eheim ecco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com