Broken Fluval 406

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cenovia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For the last year, I've been using a Fluval 406 to maintain my 75 gallon turtle tank. it's worked great up until a few days ago. I replaced a broken impeller and the parts that come wit it, and when I tried to start it up it refused to work. the water won't flow at all, not even a trickle. I can feel the motor turn on kind of, it hums a bit, but it's weak and refuses to pump any water. I put the old part back into place to see if the problem was faulty new parts, and it still refused to work. there are no clogs in the tubing or anywhere I can reach. up until now I've had no problems with it, but now i'm struggling and the old small filters I used to use can't keep up with the needs of a 9inch turtle and a dozen or so pet minnows. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is wrong or what I can do before I send the whole thing back in? :(

Hi, did you have any luck? Have you detached the filter head and turned it on for a few seconds to watch if the impeller turns?

I'm scared to try turning on the motor without it being in water, since it could burn out the motor. And from the sound and feel of it, the impeller isn't turning at all. There's absolutely no water flow or even attempt at it from the system

I'm scared to try turning on the motor without it being in water, since it could burn out the motor. And from the sound and feel of it, the impeller isn't turning at all. There's absolutely no water flow or even attempt at it from the system

A momentary on/off will not harm the unit at all. If you're that worried about it, fill your sink and try it there. Another option would be to call them, describe the situation, and ask for help. Most quality companies want to keep you as a valued customer and will go above and beyond to help you if you say the magic words.

I would love to talk to the customer service people, and in fact have tried. But the service hours are week days only, and if i remember right, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. and most likely won't include tomorrow, since it's a holiday.

Does the impeller sit centred in the hole? On mine, the magnet fixes it in place but I can tap it to see if will rotate ok and looks free to spin.

I'll give it a shot, but it doesn't sound or feel like the impeller is moving at all. if it was, there'd be some amount of water movement or at least make the noises it does when attempting to draw water. The impeller is in the correct position and moves like it should with the pieces around it. And if the impeller isn't moving, where will i go from there? Tbh, this is what i have been wondering all along.

Past my knowledge I'm afraid. If you are getting no movement on the impeller and it looks good, then I'd suspect the electro-magnet. Here that means buying a new filter as the electrics are a sealed unit pretty much.

Fair enough. I was wondering about the electromagnet as well, but not sure how to proceed with it. but the whole filter is less than 3 years old, so do you think it would be accepted back under it's 3 years warranty?

Unplug and plug repeatedly until it starts. Happens to me often with same filter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom