Broken heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceywater101

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have my heater set at 78 and my water temp goes from between 83 and 81. Does this mean my heater is broken, is there any way to control this? I am aiming for a temp of 82. If there is a more stable heater out there that will allow me to hold the temp at a certain point please let me know.
Thanks Paul

why are you aiming so high?

in my limited experience, the numbers on the heaters rarely match what temp they keep the water at - and i regularly see the water swing in temps of 2-4 degrees.

No your heater isn't broken. It is common for the heater to read another temp than the tank temp. All of my heaters are like that. Turn the temp on the heater down a couple of degrees and measure the temp of the tank by a thermometer. What kind of thermometer are you using? The sticky ones on the front outside glass are inaccurate IMO. I recommend either a digital one or a floating one.

It answer the questions asked. I am aiming high because I have cichlids that need warmer water. I just got a digital thermometer thats how I found out about the temp swing. I am glad that its not broke and I dont have to spend more money thanks for the advice.

My heater's temperature selector rarely matches the true temperature of the tank. My water temperature in one tank is 80 degrees, which is where I want it. The number on the heater that the dial is pointing to is more like 83 or 84 degrees. I measure the temperature of the water with a digital thermometer. I use a kitchen one from the home-bed-bath type of store. I move the dial on the heater until the digital thermometer reads where I want the temp.

I have Visitherm Deluxe (glass) and Visitherm Stealth (plastic) and they have both held a steady temperature. I just don't rely on the dial to tell me the actual water temperature. As long as you can turn the dial to get the heat where you want it, and then use an accurate thermometer, you will be fine.

Cheaper heaters maintain a less consistent temp. Also remember that warm days will raise tank temps beyond what your heater is set to.

What cichlids are you keeping that require warm water?
I'm no cichlid expert, but I do want to make sure you weren't mis-informed.

What kind of hood / lighting do you have??? my light used to heat my 50G up 2 - 3 degrees easy.

Any good heater will do you, I personally like rena

I have a pair of Rena Cal Excel 150W Heater 701D (Aq. Pharm.) in my 2 50G and they work good. Temp don't change to much on me. I still don't use the temp thing on the heater but go by the thermometers I got in there.

Lighting definately affects water temps. On my 20 gal ACF tank the lights will raise the temps at least 3 degrees in the day during the warmer months. I've started keeping the lights off for a few more hours a day for them.

Back
Top Bottom