BRS Dual Ca/GFO Reactors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm considering buying these with the BRS Rox carbon and their GFO.

I'm battling hair algae and confirmed my water is 0 TDS, stopped feeding coral food (oyster feast and phyto).

I'm hoping the GFO, my new CUC and possibly a Tomini tang will be the solution.

I'd like to get people's experiences with using these particular reactors and GFO vs Purigen as well as different carbons.

First of all, I wouldn't aim at more critters to solve your issue. You have it identified, the coral food! Water changes and time will address this.
Secondly, I have a BRS dual reactor. I like it, but running 2 single units is more effective. The GFO struggles to tumble correctly in the dual reactor. I had to switch to Phosguard and other products to try to do the same thing.

First of all, I wouldn't aim at more critters to solve your issue. You have it identified, the coral food! Water changes and time will address this.
Secondly, I have a BRS dual reactor. I like it, but running 2 single units is more effective. The GFO struggles to tumble correctly in the dual reactor. I had to switch to Phosguard and other products to try to do the same thing.

The main benefit of carbon is water color/clarity?

My friend recommended it. I've been running it for about a month. I don't test my water very often. Do my by weekly 25 gallon water change. All my coral are doing great. I do have a cyno problem but I don't know how. I haven't had fish in my tank for almost 6 weeks

My friend recommended it. I've been running it for about a month. I don't test my water very often. Do my by weekly 25 gallon water change. All my coral are doing great. I do have a cyno problem but I don't know how. I haven't had fish in my tank for almost 6 weeks

Cyano is usually low flow. You can siphon it during water changes but you need to increase flow.

If the recommended pump for dual is cobalt 1200, should I get the 600 for one?

I had issues with clogging on the single brs reactor as well as the dual reactor. I was using a mag3 drive but after a few days the carbon would stop tumbling.
I had pretty good success with the two little fishies reactor though and am using a new downflow type reactor for my 180g now, which I love and hasnt clogged even a tiny bit after several months. :)

I got the single from BRS and the recommended pump plus a pound of GFO.

What do you think the issue was with clogging? Too much flow?

They come with 2 sponges that go at the top of the canister. It will catch a ton of junk and prevent anything from escaping the canister. Before them, I'd find filtration from the first in the second.

If you're running high calcium levels, the stuff gums up in about a week. I don't use GFO anymore for that specific reason. I've tried different brands but none tumble much past a week then jams up no matter how much pump pressure you have. I need to investigate the reactor Carey is talking about. Others seem to have no issue with the stuff.

On the BRS unit the pads are necessary, but an additional pain.

Here is the reactor I am using for biopellets on the 180g. It comes in a few different sizes, I have the medium one. I have been running it almost from day one on the tank and it has not even tried or almost clogged. It is running as perfect as it was the day I installed it. Its been I;'d say at least 2 months.

Hydra Aquatics BioPellet Reactor

And GFO doesn't gum up in it? Is there a filter on the outlet if you want to run something finer than beads?

BTW, how did you fare with the bio beads? I am convinced they grew cyano.

Sorry OP....hope we answered your question.

I run carbon continuously as I have a heavily populated coral reef and carbon keeps the toxins down.

I also use Purigen. It can be regenerated and it always sits there available to suppress a DOC spike. It also scrubs out selenium which can promote cyano algae.

Phosguard and GFO are pretty exchangeable as they do basically the same thing, grab phosphates.

All good products that can work in combinations without harm.

Last edited:
Okay Carey! I investigated this reactor and have purchased the biggest one. Looks much more efficient than the BRS updraft versions. Hopefully it will tumble GFO properly without allowing it to gum up. Will post it on my thread when I set it up.

Back
Top Bottom