Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #1

Brush to clean Fluval tubing?

People have said that Lowe's carries a very long brush that could be used to clean Fluval tubing, but when I checked they had nothing. Anyone know where to get one?

I bought Hagen's, the brush size is fine but the handle is far from long enough. So far my best option is to tie a long string to it with a nut on the other (as in nut and bolt not acorn). I could drop the nut through and then pull the brush through a few times to get the tubing clean.

Any other ideas?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

ADA sells them. They are super pricey... but there aren't a ton of readily available options out there:

Spring Washer M (for pipes above φ17mm) [102-926] - $23.00 : Aqua Forest Aquarium, ADA USA, Aqua Design Amano \

They make a smaller 1 for under 13mm as well:Spring Washer S (for pipes under φ13mm) [102-927] - $23.00 : Aqua Forest Aquarium, ADA USA, Aqua Design Amano

FWIW, they hold up very well, and work great--but like anything else with an ADA label, they are overpriced.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I picked up a brush from HD designed to clean dryer vents. It works like a charm. It's soft bristled and has good reach. If you've got long hosing you'll just need to hit it from both ends obviously. Since it's arrow shaped...when you pull it out...watch out for flying fish debris. Eye protection is recommended, haha. They had it over near the mops.

30 in. Dryer Vent Brush-962510 at The Home Depot
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Looks like a good option Eric. is it pretty flexible?
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
Looks like a good option Eric. is it pretty flexible?
Yep. You can bend it into a circle if needed. The shaft is basically a coil covered by flexible tubing. It works great...but I'm only half joking about the eye protection thing. The brush is a fairly tight fit into the Fluval hose, and when you pull it out it transforms fish debris into a fine mist, haha. The wife was not a big fan when she saw the shower stall.
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hoppe's Bore Snake.... used for rifle bore cleaning. They can be purchased in various caliber sizes, so just measure the inside diameter of your filter tubing.

Cabela's: Hoppe's BoreSnake

Tags
clean, fluval, tubing, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com