Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank Decor

Hello S...

Bubble wands and airstones create a nice effect in the tank, but do little for health of the tank. You want to create a comfortable home for your fish first. I'd suggest adding more real plants to the tank. Aquatic plants do so much to make the fish feel comfortable and secure. Real plants also help keep the tank water cleaner.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Old 06-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter4158098 View Post
As far as my fish. Ya in a 55 gallon tank 10 fish tend to disappear lol.

Attachment 99466

Attachment 99465

Attachment 99464
Okay, I see them now!

Old 06-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello S...

Bubble wands and airstones create a nice effect in the tank, but do little for health of the tank. You want to create a comfortable home for your fish first. I'd suggest adding more real plants to the tank. Aquatic plants do so much to make the fish feel comfortable and secure. Real plants also help keep the tank water cleaner.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B
Isn't it also true that they (bubblers of any kind) aid in gas exchange at the surface?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by technot View Post
Hi, one thing you should do with bubble bars, is soak them for at least 24 hours. I purchased an 8" bubble bar from wal-mart. Soaked it for a day and never had any problems with bare spots .
That's true, tech -- and Petco specifically advises to soak their bars for at least 24 hours on the packaging. However, I did that, and still one of mine doesn't seem to spit out as many bubbles as the other, leading me to believe it definitely has something to do with the difference in air pumps (the Rena vs. the Tetra)...
Old 06-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells

Isn't it also true that they (bubblers of any kind) aid in gas exchange at the surface?
They agitate the surface aiding in the gas exchange. +1
Old 06-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey as far as the background goes, you could just do a solid color one like blue or black
Old 06-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

As far as one bubble bar not bubbling as much as the other one I think I just don't have enough air pressure. The pump I have is the big four port PETCO air pump. If I take one off and blow through it the whole bar bubbles. Think I will take the air pump back and either get two smaller ones. One for each side or get another big one so I have one for each side.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Airstones & Bubble Wands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
Hello Art...

Airstones don't do much to get oxygen into the tank and remove carbon dioxide. The bubbles are too small and rise and escape so quickly. Provided you have the recommended level of power driven filtration equipment running in the tank, then you have everything you need for proper gas exchange.

A filter with a gph (gallon per hour) rating six times the volume of your tank is sufficient. So, if you have a 55 gallon tank, your filtration should have a gph rating of 330 or better. A single, large power filter or two, smaller ones placed at opposite ends of the tank will work as well.

B
Old 06-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keao_m View Post
They agitate the surface aiding in the gas exchange. +1
Thanks for the confirmation, Keao.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Art...

Airstones don't do much to get oxygen into the tank and remove carbon dioxide. The bubbles are too small and rise and escape so quickly. Provided you have the recommended level of power driven filtration equipment running in the tank, then you have everything you need for proper gas exchange.
Well, I'm not saying all that is required for healthy gas exchange are bubblers/bars/stones...I'm just saying they aid in the procedure, and can't really "hurt" to have in a tank (confirmed by the member I replied to just before this post).

Quote:
A filter with a gph (gallon per hour) rating six times the volume of your tank is sufficient. So, if you have a 55 gallon tank, your filtration should have a gph rating of 330 or better. A single, large power filter or two, smaller ones placed at opposite ends of the tank will work as well.

B
On my 60 gallon goldfish tank, I'm running on one side an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 (good for 300-plus gallons per hour) and on the other an AquaClear 110 (good for 500 something GPH) and combined, they turn over some 800 something GPH if my math is right...is this sufficient for a 60 gallon decently stocked (four fish) goldfish tank?

Tags
bubble, stone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com