Bubble Bar or Bubble Stone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Filtration

Hello again Art...

That's quite a filtration system you have running. Realistically, your filtration for a 60 G would be in the 360 (gph) range. Two filters is a good idea on a larger tank, in case one might fail. Anyway, I've never kept goldfish. I understand they are heavy waste producers, so I understand the need for stronger filtration.

I do large, weekly water changes on my larger tanks, so I don't over filter them. The filtration equipment is simply filtering water that's already pure.

You know best. Above everything else, have fun.

B

Hello again Art...

That's quite a filtration system you have running. Realistically, your filtration for a 60 G would be in the 360 (gph) range. Two filters is a good idea on a larger tank, in case one might fail. Anyway, I've never kept goldfish. I understand they are heavy waste producers, so I understand the need for stronger filtration.

I do large, weekly water changes on my larger tanks, so I don't over filter them. The filtration equipment is simply filtering water that's already pure.

You know best. Above everything else, have fun.

B

Hello B,

First of all, while I appreciate what may be taken as a very kind statement, I must say that I know far from best when it comes to this hobby; that's why I am always asking questions of more knowledgeable folks like you guys! I kept tropicals years ago when I was much younger, and have begun getting into the goldfish as of late. As for the filtration, yeah, I'm not really a fan of constant water changes, so I do whatever I can to keep that down -- massive amounts of filtration, loads of Purigen in each filter, etc...

Actually, I am having a plethora of issues now which I am going to address in a new thread; thank you for all your assistance thus far...(y) :thanks:

Water Changes

Hello again Art...

Water changes are probably the easiest way of making sure the water properties are stable in the tank. If you're willing to remove and replace half the tank water every week, your fish will be their healthiest. By flushing a lot of pure, treated tap water though the tank, there's no time for pollutants to build up and stress the fish. By not changing out the water regularly, you give parasites that live in all our tanks a chance to infect your fish.

I look at my tanks as large, unflushed toilets with fish living in them. If I was to trade places with the fish, I'd sure want my tank flushed on a regular basis.

Just a thought.

B

Hello again Art...

Water changes are probably the easiest way of making sure the water properties are stable in the tank. If you're willing to remove and replace half the tank water every week, your fish will be their healthiest. By flushing a lot of pure, treated tap water though the tank, there's no time for pollutants to build up and stress the fish. By not changing out the water regularly, you give parasites that live in all our tanks a chance to infect your fish.

I look at my tanks as large, unflushed toilets with fish living in them. If I was to trade places with the fish, I'd sure want my tank flushed on a regular basis.

Just a thought.

B

I understand -- I just HATE the process of the changes because we do ours the old fashioned way, with siphoning out and carrying buckets of new water to pour in...this leads to massive messes on our carpeting and backbreaking work. Thus, I made sure to way over-filter this tank and routinely add Seachem's Purigen to the filters to suck all the bad stuff out...

As far as your reference to "treated tap water" -- is this actually better than using purified bottled water?

Water Changes & Treated Tap Water

Art...

I definitely understand the bucket routine. I've used them for years changing the water in my tanks. I even go up and down stairs with the full buckets and I'm an "old timer".

Anyway, I use water right from the tap and treat it with Seachem's "Prime". I just pour a half a capful in each 5 gallon bucket as it fills and syphon the water into the tank. Getting out the equipment for a water change isn't that bad and once you start the process, it just takes just a little more time to remove half the tank water. The fish appreciate the new water too.

The tap water is considerably cheaper than bottled.

B

Art...

I definitely understand the bucket routine. I've used them for years changing the water in my tanks. I even go up and down stairs with the full buckets and I'm an "old timer".

Oh wow -- I don't think I could ever do the up and down stairs thing! It's bad enough having to carry the heavy bucket down a hall...:eek: :nono:

Anyway, I use water right from the tap and treat it with Seachem's "Prime". I just pour a half a capful in each 5 gallon bucket as it fills and syphon the water into the tank. Getting out the equipment for a water change isn't that bad and once you start the process, it just takes just a little more time to remove half the tank water. The fish appreciate the new water too.

I use Seachem's Prime as well -- but what I actually do is, during a change or top off, treat the aquarium with the Prime before the new water goes in, not the water going into the bucket from the tap. I was told this was a bit better to do...is it not?

The tap water is considerably cheaper than bottled.

Well, sure, but what is better and healthier? I can't help but suspect all kinds of toxins are in our tap waters...I suppose that's what the Prime is for...:hide:

I also have been living with, in our main 60 gallon tank, a horrendous diatom outbreak that hasn't gone away in two and a half years. I was initially told our tap water could be causing this, but when I switched to the purified bottled water, they didn't go away.

Water Changes

Hello Art...

If you want to keep your water changes to a minimum, you might look in to adding a Chinese Evergreen to your tank. I have what's called "Terraphyte" tank. Attached are a couple of pics. You rinse off all the potting mixture and place the roots directly into the water. The roots need to be aerated, so you use an air pump and rubber tubing to get air to the plant roots. The plant roots use the fish waste as nutrients, so water changes are minimal.

What do you think?

B

Tap water treatment is more strict and regulated than the bottled water industry - it could very well be better than your "purified bottled water", even if it doesn't smell or look quite as nice. Not everything in tap water is bad, so sometimes reverting to a theoretically stripped water supply might not help.

Hello Art...

If you want to keep your water changes to a minimum, you might look in to adding a Chinese Evergreen to your tank. I have what's called "Terraphyte" tank. Attached are a couple of pics. You rinse off all the potting mixture and place the roots directly into the water. The roots need to be aerated, so you use an air pump and rubber tubing to get air to the plant roots. The plant roots use the fish waste as nutrients, so water changes are minimal.

What do you think?

B

Thanks B...

Boy, that's a lot of plant! I don't think we would go for such a "planty" setup, but thanks for the tip...(y)

What kinds of fish do you have in there? Do I see some Neon Tetras? :hide:

Tap water treatment is more strict and regulated than the bottled water industry - it could very well be better than your "purified bottled water", even if it doesn't smell or look quite as nice. Not everything in tap water is bad, so sometimes reverting to a theoretically stripped water supply might not help.

Thanks Pillow.

Well, we obviously can't afford to stock the house with bottles upon bottles of purified water for every time we do a top off or change, so we've been buying just a couple of gallons every time we're at the supermarket, if we remember, and if the water is on sale; then, I just do quick top offs with the purified stuff to kind of add some "fresh, pure" water to the system...

As for the tap water, it's okay to use treated tap water (treated with something like Seachem's Prime) versus purified bottle?

Yes it is fine. I'd venture that the vast majority of aquarist (perhaps not within the constrains of this site) use, and have used, treated tap water for years with success.

No problem! No need to get suckered into buying things you don't absolutely need.

Indeed; the thing with the purified water is that first, when we were getting a horrible diatom outbreak (which we still are, believe it or not, some two years later), it was suggested to me that our tap supply may be crappy and thus causing the diatoms. So we switched to bottled "purified," but of course this just got too daunting and expensive after awhile. Ironically, the change to the purified water didn't help or stop the diatoms, and we never found out what is causing them or from where in the tank...

Now, we just grab a couple of bottles of purified water when we remember to at the supermarket (if they're on sale) so I can use them to do quick top offs when the water level/line is bothering me...

Back
Top Bottom