Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2005, 12:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to biohazzrd
BUBBLE STONes

what exacitally do they do ... like i no they aureate but what is the plus to my fish for having them? thanks

oo yeah are little air bubble on the glass bad?

Old 01-05-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi Biohazzrd!

What type of fish do you have? What type of set up do you have?

Old 01-05-2005, 12:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA, biohazzrd!

Airstones help break up the surface of the water, which facilitates gas exchange - O2 in and CO2 out. Splashing from a HOB filter or surface agitation from a spray bar accomplish the same thing too.
It's just that some people like the effect of a wall of tiny bubbles. Some fish like to play in the bubbles, but most really don't seem to notice them.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:07 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to biohazzrd
umm i have nothing in now im letting the tank mature as a envirment.. then i will be looking to buy some fish it was just a general question
Old 01-05-2005, 12:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aeration causes agitation on the surface of the water. The aggitation and bubbles increase the surface area of the water surface and increase gas exchange - more oxygen in and more carbon dioxide out. The rising bubbles bring water up to the surface with them, helping tank circulation. All these functions can be accomplished without airstones, by using power heads or power filters. Bubbles rising in the tank can look good, and also be used to hide things that don't look good, like your power filter intake tubes, heaters. Just don't have the bubbles being sucked into your filter. I don't use them, I hate the darn pump noise!

And isn't it amazing how often other people have posted the exact same answers right ahead of you in the time it took you to type it? I must learn to type faster!
Old 01-05-2005, 12:10 PM   #6

Air Bubbles

One of my Oranda Goldfish likes to swim back and forth through the bubbles ... I think it "tickles" his belly

Tags
bubble, stone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com