BUBBLE STONes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biohazzrd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what exacitally do they do ... like i no they aureate but what is the plus to my fish for having them? thanks :D

oo yeah are little air bubble on the glass bad?

Welcome to AA, biohazzrd! :D :D :D :D

Airstones help break up the surface of the water, which facilitates gas exchange - O2 in and CO2 out. Splashing from a HOB filter or surface agitation from a spray bar accomplish the same thing too.
It's just that some people like the effect of a wall of tiny bubbles. Some fish like to play in the bubbles, but most really don't seem to notice them.

umm i have nothing in now im letting the tank mature as a envirment.. then i will be looking to buy some fish it was just a general question

Aeration causes agitation on the surface of the water. The aggitation and bubbles increase the surface area of the water surface and increase gas exchange - more oxygen in and more carbon dioxide out. The rising bubbles bring water up to the surface with them, helping tank circulation. All these functions can be accomplished without airstones, by using power heads or power filters. Bubbles rising in the tank can look good, and also be used to hide things that don't look good, like your power filter intake tubes, heaters. Just don't have the bubbles being sucked into your filter. I don't use them, I hate the darn pump noise!

And isn't it amazing how often other people have posted the exact same answers right ahead of you in the time it took you to type it? I must learn to type faster!

Back
Top Bottom