Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

bubble wall?

Hey, new here and I just set myself up a 10gallon aqaurium which I purchased second hand...

Anyways, I have a question... how do I make a bubble wall in the back of my aqaurium? I seen you can buy the tubes for it, but how does the air get through the tubes to produce the bubbles? Will I also have to buy some sort of battery?

I'm unsure on the filter on my tank, it's something like an aquaclear type (waterfall) ... how would the tube connect to that?

Please let me know, and feel free to share links as to where I can order and buy the equipment from!

Old 03-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Welcome to the forum!

You will need an airstone and an air pump to get the bubbles.

If you have a picture we can tell you maybe what filter it is or check the lid, I believe AQ says it on the lid.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:20 AM   #3

I'll need both an airstone and a air pump? those just connect to the bubble wand, or whatever the air tubes are called?

I'll check the filter in the morning for it's name
Old 03-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #4

Welcome to AA!

You will need a Air pump (Can find at your local fish store) to power an airstone (Another type of air stone is called a bubble wand <- This will create the kind of bubble wall you will want). You will also need to get some air line tubing; This will help get the air from the air pump to the airstone.

Enjoy the forum
Old 03-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I call them snakes. They come in different sizes. Just hide them just under the gravel. Yes you need Air pump to push air through it.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:55 AM   #6

So I can just purchase a air pump, and a bubble wall kit .. and that should do the trick?

Also, how strong of a air pump do i need to buy so that it'll have enough pressure to do the whole back wall of my 10 gallon?
Old 03-05-2011, 03:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscrosson View Post
Hey, new here and I just set myself up a 10gallon aqaurium which I purchased second hand...

Anyways, I have a question... how do I make a bubble wall in the back of my aqaurium? I seen you can buy the tubes for it, but how does the air get through the tubes to produce the bubbles? Will I also have to buy some sort of battery?

I'm unsure on the filter on my tank, it's something like an aquaclear type (waterfall) ... how would the tube connect to that?

Please let me know, and feel free to share links as to where I can order and buy the equipment from!
Your bubble wand(s) don't connect to your filter -- as many have been saying, you must run airline tubing from a separate air pump (I use a Tetra Whisper 60 but wouldn't recommend it; the noise this thing puts out is intolerable and it's about ready to die as I can see it) which connects to the wand inside the tank.

Are you making one of these yourself? You can buy them premade -- in fact, I am in the market for one because my Top Fin brand (PetSmart's in house product line) is ready to croak as well; it was a [moderator edit]from the beginning though, so stay away from ANYTHING Top Fin...
Old 03-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #8

okay thanks!! going to attempt this, will post pictures or a video when It's complete!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad this thread just came around as I'm doing about the same thing for my 10 gallon shrimp tank at work. I have a 10 gallon and will be getting a Tetra Whisper 10 air pump but wanted some advice on a good bubble wand to take up a good portion of the back wall (at least 60%). I've had bad experiences with bad airstones so want to avoid a junk product (such as TopFin for instance). Anyone have a good recommendation? Preferably sold by Amazon if possible.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got a cheap one from walmart and havent had any problems. I run them for a couple of hours only.

Tags
bubble, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com