Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I felt soo dumb when I couldnt get all my bulbs to light and all it was is that I didnt get them seated right. LOL The bulbs are so tiny I didnt wanna force them so that was my issue. I went in with a little more force and it has been fine ever since. I even called the retailer when they woudln't light and blamed the bulbs. Boy did I feel silly. hehe
The thing is: they ALL light up and then sporadically turn off once in a while do they do that with a bad connection?

Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Buzzing is bad. That would be a ballast getting worn or hot. If it's just singles I'm saying bulbs because a single ballast will control more than one bulb. Yours is an 8 bulb? So depending on how it's wired 2-4 ballasts.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch
Buzzing is bad. That would be a ballast getting worn or hot. If it's just singles I'm saying bulbs because a single ballast will control more than one bulb. Yours is an 8 bulb? So depending on how it's wired 2-4 ballasts.
Ok... AWESOME hope that's the issue then. Still driving trying to beat the UPS guy.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

U really shouldn't txt and drive
Old 09-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch View Post
U really shouldn't txt and drive
red traffic light

You know you are addicted to AA if you check the forum with ur phone at a red traffic light...
Old 09-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok, so here is what I was able to come up with:
None of the fixtures buzzed/hummed when turned on. Granted the two spare ones had no light bulbs on, but i'm just not able to take the installed fixture off by myself.

The installed fixture was already on when I came home thx to the timer. ALL the light bulbs are currently on.
Maybe it was just an inital fluke due to new and un-used light fixture and it just needed to "warm up" ?!?!

we shall find out more in our next episode of "Fixture Of Doom"
Old 09-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn

red traffic light

You know you are addicted to AA if you check the forum with ur phone at a red traffic light...
Yeah I was driving back from lunch. It would have been more amusing if u knew that part. I would still try to wiggle test the bulbs.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
ok, so here is what I was able to come up with:
None of the fixtures buzzed/hummed when turned on. Granted the two spare ones had no light bulbs on, but i'm just not able to take the installed fixture off by myself.

The installed fixture was already on when I came home thx to the timer. ALL the light bulbs are currently on.
Maybe it was just an inital fluke due to new and un-used light fixture and it just needed to "warm up" ?!?!

we shall find out more in our next episode of "Fixture Of Doom"
Old fluorescent fixtures used to buzz because they had magnetic ballast. With this being a new fixture the ballasts will be electronic and will not buzz. Checking to be sure the lamps are seated properly is definitely the first thing to try but just because one lamp on a circuit acts differently than the others on that circuit does not rule out a ballast. Check the cheap stuff first. Go to Home Depot and buy the cheapest T5 lamp you can find regardless of the type or color. Just make sure the wattage of the HD lamp matches the ones in your fixture. You can try it in the place of the ones you have been having trouble with. If the problem goes away it is a lamp. If not, it is loose wiring or a faulty ballast. You can keep that lamp and use it for future tests.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I've learned something new. Thank you sir!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99

Old fluorescent fixtures used to buzz because they had magnetic ballast. With this being a new fixture the ballasts will be electronic and will not buzz. Checking to be sure the lamps are seated properly is definitely the first thing to try but just because one lamp on a circuit acts differently than the others on that circuit does not rule out a ballast. Check the cheap stuff first. Go to Home Depot and buy the cheapest T5 lamp you can find regardless of the type or color. Just make sure the wattage of the HD lamp matches the ones in your fixture. You can try it in the place of the ones you have been having trouble with. If the problem goes away it is a lamp. If not, it is loose wiring or a faulty ballast. You can keep that lamp and use it for future tests.
Thx, that's a great advice!

The fixture has been running all day today without any problems and without me doing anything. I hope it stays like that

Tags
bulb, fixture

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com