Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

bulb or fixture problem?!

So, i finally got my light fixture (sunlight supply Tek 8x80w T5HO) and I set it up with new light bulbs which were also ordered online. If u ever wanna wear sunglasses inside the house, that is the way to go ;b

Here is the problem: sporadically one of the light bulbs (usually the aqua blue, sometimes the others) turns off itself only to come on at a later time. It usually is only one bulb at a time not two. Sometimes all are on for a period of time and then all the sudden one goes off again.
Because this is a new fixture and new light bulbs I don't really know which is faulty.

They are the right bulbs for the right fixture (80w) and we did the whole 90 degree making-sure-it's-in-place thingy.

Please help!!!!
Thank you

Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

have you tried swapping bulb locations? and if they havent pick up your other two fixtures you could always try the bulbs in them? its just time, probably in short supply for you though isnt it?

Old 09-13-2011, 02:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch
have you tried swapping bulb locations? and if they havent pick up your other two fixtures you could always try the bulbs in them? its just time, probably in short supply for you though isnt it?
Well, UPS is gonna puck them up tomorrow and I have school, doubt I will have time to try out the other fixture.
I may try swapping bulbs but have to wait until tomorrow late afternoon as I can't lift the fixture myself >.<
Old 09-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds to me like the ballast is going bad.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had the same issue, turned out my bulbs weren't in correctly totally. I would try to reseat the bulbs and see if that helps. It did for me.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That would be so nice if that's all it was. Sometimes rechecking the fifth time does it for me too when I have problems.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99
Sounds to me like the ballast is going bad.
Oh I soooo hope NOT >.< it's like the third light fixture they had to send me :,(
I'll try what Carey said when my BF comes back from work... I pray that will fix it.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I felt soo dumb when I couldnt get all my bulbs to light and all it was is that I didnt get them seated right. LOL The bulbs are so tiny I didnt wanna force them so that was my issue. I went in with a little more force and it has been fine ever since. I even called the retailer when they woudln't light and blamed the bulbs. Boy did I feel silly. hehe
Old 09-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm thinking bulb too. If it where ballast wouldn't all the bulbs on that ballast go out at the same time or flicker un unison? I've seen a bad bulb also affect the circuit. Causing the pair not to light
Old 09-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch
I'm thinking bulb too. If it where ballast wouldn't all the bulbs on that ballast go out at the same time or flicker un unison? I've seen a bad bulb also affect the circuit. Causing the pair not to light
Well, this is the issue: it is not pairs that won't light up, it's singles.

Also, the fixture is VERY quiet and I wonder if the ballast shouldn't at least be humming maybe it's overheating and they go off once In a while bc of that.

Leaving campus right now and will turn on one of the bad fixtures to see if they make a sound... Hope I'll make it home b4 UPS does

Tags
bulb, fixture

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com