Bulbs for t5 ho!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Wavepoint 48", 4 bulb (2 actinic blues and 2 10k daylights) over my 55 FOWLR. How do I know when to replace them? Will they begin to dim or is it based off of time? The bulbs have been on it since July. I hear 9 months ish? Also, should I replace them with the same 10k, or is there a way to go a bit brighter/bluer? Thanks...

They start to blink a little bit, but it's hard to see. You have to change them very 6-12 months. Brown algae and cyanobacteria appears otherwise. If I were you, I'd change one every 2 months.

Really?? Lighting that's on it's way out can cause cyano and algae?

They start to produce more red light as they go. you don't see it with naked eye (the 10000k ones especially, the actinic will just be less bright.)

Check out ATI bulbs.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/lighting/t5-florescent-1/bulbs.html

Blue plus will give you a nice blue and you can even mix in a purple plus.

You have a four bulb fixture like I had. I had 2 aqua blue specials 1 blue plus and 1 purple plus.

This is the tank with the 2 aqua blue specials off.

image-254560503.jpg

In my profile I think there a pic with all the lights on to give you am idea of that it looks like.

So if it's a 4 bulb, should I do a blue plus and a purple, with 2 actinics? I feel that with only 4 bulbs it wont disperse the light properly?

Id go with less blue personally. My 6 bulb is 3 actinics 2 purple plus and a 14k but if I did it over on a 4 bulb I'd go with an actinic, a blue plus, a purple plus, and a 10k.

ATI website

16K - 20K - Bluish white with a noticable blue and red under-tone

4-Bulb combination
  • 3 ATI Blue Plus
  • 1 ATI Purple Plus
4-Bulb combination
  • 3 ATI Blue Plus
  • 1 ATI Purple Plus
12K - 16K - Cool white with a noticable blue and red under-tone

<U>4-Bulb combination
  • 2 ATI Blue Plus
  • 2 ATI Coral Plus
10K - 14K - Crisp white with just a hint of blue</U>

<U>4-Bulb combination
  • 2 ATI Blue Plus
  • 1 ATI Aquablue Special
  • 1 ATI Purple Plus
</U>

Thanks my dudes! Oh yea. Would bulbs that are on their way out contribute to an algae problem as stated earlier?

Back
Top Bottom