bulk head install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miesenjr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my 180 yesterday and am lookin at how deep the overflow box is and am wondering if I put the in tank half of the bulk head can I tighten the fitting from the bottom with out holding the fitting in the over flow? I am hopeing that the rubber gasket will be enough to hold the fitting snug to tighten from under the tank. If not, I am not sure how to reach down a 30" overflow and tighten the bottom fitting at the same time? I am figuring 2 people if not. due to the size of the tank and shape, its a corner shape and the overlow is in the back corner. please let me know if this can work from the bottom only.

You should be fine.
With a bulk-head fitting there is enough of the fitting down below to allow you to run the jam nut up by hand and then hold the fitting while you tighten the nut.
When you get a little tension on the fitting, there should be enough friction from the rubber gasket to hold it from turning while you snug it up the rest of the way. If you're using any fittings inside the overflow, a screen is a good idea, put them on before you put the fitting in the tank.
One word of caution, the jam nut doesn't need to be as tight as you can get it, only good and snug. Check it after you fill the tank and again it a couple of days just to be sure. If it's dripping, there's no trouble snugging it up with water in the tank.

Enjoy!

Thanks, I thought that it would work that way. with 180 gallons on top and new carpet i thought i would ask. what screen are you refering to?

Thanks, I thought that it would work that way. with 180 gallons on top and new carpet i thought i would ask. what screen are you refering to?

The screen for the intake pipe so big lumps and fish don't get sucked into the filter.
Something like on this power head.

img3035450.jpg

ok, is it needed with a over flow box that has the strainer slots along the top edge? i am thinking this will be enough. what do you think?

thanks,

Well, I have a similar, if not the same, setup (Oceanic), and I've had fish jump over the edge into the overflow several times. I finally made caps for the tops of the chambers.

Just my $.02

are you putting the cap on the top of the overflow box or the inlet to the stand pipe in the overflow box ? I am thinking of useing a black mesh and a zip tie on the stand pipe inlet.

I had to cap the overflow boxes. I have two flying foxes who seem to like the boxes more than the tank. Ever try catching fish in a black box 24" deep and about 7 " square?

Back
Top Bottom