Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-31-2005, 02:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Bulk heads/marine sealant/epoxy

Hello everyone!
Two questions: Do any of you use marine sealant/epoxy on your bulk heads instead of the rubber gasket that comes with? I am currently setting up acrylic tank and concerned about longevity of the rubber gasket and leaking on hard wood floor.
Question 2: There are so many different salt mix brands out there. What is the preferred quality brand? I would appreciate any input

Memo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:55 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have a bulkhead thats beein on a sump for the last 4 years. Not a sign of a leak. I would not be concerned with the longevity of the gasket.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 bulkheads just over 3 years and no issues(knock on wood) I have HW floors also. As long as there tight they should be fine.
I use Ocieanic and its has worked out well in my reef. I will be getting instant ocean for my fowlr soon to save a few bucks, its cheaper then Oceanic.
Do a search on the site, there was just a long post on slat mixes..
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

marine, seal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com